Customize email address in DataSet via Email Connector

Options
ColemenWilson
edited August 2023 in Reporting Ideas

It is very difficult for business users who send emails to the email connector to distinguish between them because the address looks like this:

9998bf3x6bbcf459aae17b40943x968b68@henryscheinone.mail.domo.com

Would be huge if the address could be customized to something human readable like:

marketingstatusreport@henryscheinone.mail.domo.com

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

Tagged:
15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• b_rad
    b_rad Contributor
    Options

I agree it would be ideal to have readable email address but then it'll be very hard for Domo to make sure that each email connector dataset uses unique email address.

• swagner
    swagner Contributor
    Options

@colemenwilson totally agree! This would make it so much more intuitive for my end users who are sending data via this connector.

• TWill
    Options

I have found a little success in creating a 'Contact' in Outlook for the Domo email addresses. My company doesnt really allow for 'sharing' the contact that I create, so its usefulness does not extend very far. But perhaps another org would allow for sharing/others to use that Contact you create, along with whatever name you want to give it.

• ColemenWilson
    Options

@TWill we have thought of using forwarding rules and setting up custom email addresses that just forward the content along to the Domo email address.

If I solved your problem, please select "yes" above

• EKirov
    EKirov Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

It would be much more user friendly especially for people who have to share multiple emails.

There could be a validation step to prompt if the email is already created.

• EKirov
    Options

Creating a contact is a workaround and we want to save that extra steps for our users.

• Svilen
    Options

We need this to be more user friendly.

• DavidAlday
    Options

In general, I think it's better practice to have a direct solution instead of a workaround. Contact forwarding introduces another potential point of failure, especially at scale.

I think user friendly names is a good idea. Because they would be using the custom domains, the duplication issue is not as prevalent as it would be. It would be (should be) pretty easy to just compare them to a DB and kick back an error for dupes.

• Nade
    Options

This idea is fantastic!

Over the past two months, I've configured more than 10 email connectors. While there are rules for file names or email subjects where possible, applying them to every connector is challenging due to business specifics. Unfortunately, this increases the risk of errors, especially when dealing with a long list of emails. My experience, even during testing, has shown that a simple copy/paste mistake can result in sending data to the wrong email or, in the worst-case scenario, loading data into the wrong dataset.

The proposal for user-friendly names is excellent, it would significantly reduce the chances of such mistakes. Domo, I'm thrilled about the idea of adding this feature. It wouldn't just decrease the chance of errors but also greatly enhance the process for all users, making it smoother and more efficient.