How to cast as datetime in Domo workbench?

I need to add a date field to a job in workbench where the date is static, but not the current date.

I have been attempting to create a calculated transform and expected to do something similar to:

to_date('05/23/2018') or cast('2018-05-23' as datetime) 

Neither of those are available functions, however, and I don't see anything like them in the list of available date/time functions. 

Incidentally, I have played with changing quotes, etc, but I cannot get a calculation to validate.

There was a similar question asked and resolved by using the today() function, but I need to set to a previous date.

I can set the calculation to a simple sting (05/23/2018) easily enough, but then the schema either converts the field to a string, or nulls the cells as invalid (because that is the default setting) if I lock the data type.  

Not sure what I am missing.  Please help me create a date field set to static previous date.  Thanks in advance

Comments

• Anyone can help out with this request?

Thanks,

• Hi Laurette,

You can use the convert function in the workbench. I just tried, CONVERT('2017-01-01',DATE) AS date and it came through as a date format (1/1/2017) in Domo.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Brian

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• Hi Laurette,

Did the above help out? Additionally, you can do the same with DATETIME as I see that is referenced in your subject. 

(CONVERT('YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM(put colon here, it kept making a smiley face when I used one in this post)SS', DATETIME)

ie: CONVERT('2018-01-01 07:22:45', DATETIME)

• I agree, those should both work, but just do not for me.  I know I had it working for a one-off ingestion job a few months ago, and I seem to remember using CONVERT then. I'll keep playing with it. 

DateDoesNotWork.PNG

• Laurette,

I do not have much experience with transforms but it looks like calculation builder only has specific available functions, none which will calculate a date. Are you able to write the convert code directly in the source instead of using the calculation builder?

Brian

• That is a good idea.  I think I'm going to take the ingestion off workbench and do it through the R plugin instead. Thanks for the help!

This discussion has been closed.