Year Over Year cards Leap year issue

Options
SEC
SEC Contributor
edited April 17 in Dashboard Ideas

YoY cards cards where Year to date is the range set for the card do not calculate prior year totals and hence yoy changes correctly until the month is complete. Since a year is assumed as 365 days for YOY cards, the leap year throws off the comparison to prior years until the month is complete. We are relying on mid month stats very heavily, so having correct comparative numbers is crucial. A fix for Leap years needs to be developed to overcome this issue. Please up vote this.

6 votes

Comments

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    Options

@SEC this is a tough one b/c domo can't just build a solution for EVERY customer and every customer probably treats YOY comparisons differently. AND even if domo did build it for YOU , if your CFO ever changed the approach now it's the same for everyone.

if it were me i would build a dataset that actually calculates for x date what do i consider "current year and previous year" (one row for each date in current year and one row for each date in previous year) and then just JOIN that onto my transactional data.

it does create a bit of bloat and overhead, but it guarantees that you can use that structure in literally any card (not just Period over period) and you have control and can test (and can show your finance director EXACTLY what the terms of your report are)

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • SEC
    SEC Contributor
    edited April 24
    Options

So the exact issue is that, for today for example, the current year shows data from 4/1/2024 to 4/24/24 and it compares it to 4/1/2023 to 4/25/2023, so it's adding an extra day to the range for the comparative prior period. I would think that in most cases, that users would want to compare the same date ranges year over year.