Better table design

Options
sofia_rg
sofia_rg Member
edited March 13 in Charting Ideas

The possibility to customize a table. Modify the thickness of the lines, modify the color or size of only one cell, show only one subtotal / total and not all, change values ​​manually within the table, etc.

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• DomoDork
    DomoDork Contributor
    Options

Some of this is already do-able as you are allowed to use HTML/CSS tags inside beast modes to control color, border, adding images and icons next to results etc but it definitely could use some major upgrades in the visual department. Here's the support documentation showing some examples of controlling a table look and feel. https://domo-support.domo.com/s/article/360043429573?language=en_US#customize_tables

If I had my way, it would be really cool if the Analyzer UI also had an advanced tab that let you incorporate your own CSS (exactly like how Domo Bricks do). That would take all of the 'out-of-the-box' visuals to the next level. I could imagine using CSS with animation keyframes to animate standard domo visuals, or change/control colors based on mouse clicks, hover etc. There is lots you could do with that.

• ArborRose
    Options

Yes, Domo can use HTML tags but some of us don't want HTML injected into data fields. I get frustrated that I don't have UI design flexibility that are found in ancient tools like SQL report builder. Sometimes I feel like I'm building web pages inside Domo rather than just building them in .Net

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **

• DomoDork
    DomoDork Contributor
    Options

@ArborRose - I feel you there and still agree there should be much more customization and control over table visuals in general. Weirdly, I have all these visuals at my fingertips but everyone always wants tables of data. I guess excel really has ingrained itself pretty hard among the masses… part of it is on me to educate others that tables of data aren't necessarily as useful as people think, but humans are fickle and like what they are used to. I'd much rather take that table data and tell stories with it like 'why are my sales bad this month?' rather than them looking at numbers and having to dig to figure out why themselves but it definitely is a battle. And no matter what, tables are the most used and understood (regardless of the tool), and should be the most flexible to present data.

I'm new to Domo myself and while I like the fact that there is a ton of flexibility with Domo, it's been a real challenge and learning experience grasping the API's, HTML, CSS and Javascript necessary to accomplish some simple things that should be available out-of-the-box so I agree with you wholeheartedly.