Some negative impacts of the new feature merged beastmode

yinchuanmo
yinchuanmo Member
edited January 8 in Beast Mode Ideas

Hi all,

Recently there is a newly added Domo feature where the 'Merged from datasource..." beast modes will be created when cards that are using the beast modes are moved to a new DataSet.

But we found that this new feature has an effect on the previous data source as well : domo will rename all the beastmodes merged previously (as "name + merged from xxxx") even if we have already adapted their name before and generated automatically another beastmode with the origin name... I understand that this feature allows the future merged cards to still render without errors, but it does make it more difficult from a governance standpoint for the previous merged cards.

As far as I know, we don't have a way to avoid this behavior, so we have to archive/rename all the beastmodes affected as necessary. But we really wish there will have an option to disable this behavior because il will cause us to waste time in some cases.

Thanks for your help,

Yinchuan

5 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Thanks for sharing your idea! We're currently reviewing it for future enhancements. Stay tuned for updates! 👍

Comments

• shaunb
    shaunb Member

Agreed it would be very useful to disable merging beast modes when switching to an identical dataset. This feature, which is definitely a good idea, has caused us many hours of beast mode maintenance due to having to go through and rename beast modes and update formulas accordingly. We could leave the merged renamed beast modes, but the formulas become messy and governance becomes increasingly difficult.

• shaunb
    shaunb Member

I should add that I think a lot of the complications/confusions we ran into were related to beast modes created on cards that had ‘save calculation to dataset’ ticked. Whilst the outcome of merging was maybe all by design, we found it unintuitive.