Magic ETL | Remove Duplicates Tile | Select all fields option

Godiepi
Godiepi Coach
edited December 2023 in Magic ETL Ideas

It would be good to have a "Select All Columns" option for the remove duplicates tile in magic

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
**Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'
10 votes

In Review · Last Updated

This is a good idea, and something I've heard a few times now. I will be reviewing with my team. I think it would also be nice to have this same feature on any tile where you have the option to select columns.

Comments

• @Godiepi that's a pretty obscure use case that you'd expect full-on row duplication.

you could use MD5() hashing to concatenate all the values together and then use a RowNumber + rank_window tile then filter where rownumber = 1

this is a classic way of handling identifying slowly changing dimension rows.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Billobi
    Billobi Contributor

I'd love to see a "select all" option in the remove duplicates tile, sort of like the same button on Select Columns where it loads up all the fields but then you can go back still and remove the ones you don't need or care about.

I see plenty of cases where there's a junky input (wonky APIs, spreadsheets uploaded directly from hell with way to many columns, etc.) that needs a quick/easy button to cleanup/massage things before starting to explore the rows.

The downside is it could easily pick up a null column and with existing behavior, return a zero row output. Bonus feature if the dedupe could skip null columns from inspection.

• I think this would be a good addition, even if it's just to speed up the adding of many columns to the tile. Instead of clicking individually 18 out of 20 rows, you could "select all" then remove the 2 you didn't want.

• AndreaLovesData
    AndreaLovesData Domo Product Manager

This is a good idea, and something I've heard a few times now. I will be reviewing with my team. I think it would also be nice to have this same feature on any tile where you have the option to select columns.

Domo Product Manager for Data Transformation (MagicETL)