Sub Slicer in DOMO

Hello. Is there a way I could create a sub-slicer in DOMO?

Given the sample illustration below, I have the main slicer selection as:

• Hospital
  • Restaurant
  • Store

I need to add a subslicer under Hospital as:

• Hospital_1
  • Hospital_2

Is this possible?

Answers

• Is there a reason / use case for why you would not Have 4 slicer cards / add a hospital slicer card in the example you have shown?

My thought being for 4 cards you have the Category (hospital restaurant store) slicer card with the hospital / restaurant / store cards just below the category card.

Is the expected behavior that once you select Hospital that the sub-slicer would appear? or is it that the sub-slicers would always be shown?

• Zel
    Zel Member

Because the main category (main slicer) - should be hospital, restaurant and store

If i select from the main slicer, the corresponding data will be shown.

then when I click hospital, there should be an option / sub slicer to select whether it should be Hospital1, Hospital2, or both. (if this is possible)

• You could have 2 separate slicers, 1 for the high level category that would filter the other slicer having your lower level slicer to show only those values in your high level category.

Alternatively you could likely utilize a Domo/DDX brick to get more control over the filtering / UI interactions to combine them in to a single filter.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Zel
    Zel Member

Hi @GrantSmith, 2 slicers meaning like 2 separate cards right?

• Correct

• Zel
    Zel Member

One more question, is there a way to create slicer via beastmode, so I could assign specific category?

• You can utilize a beast mode as part of your card (just make sure to save it to the dataset so you can filter on it on your page) to define the categories.

• Yes, you can use calculated fields in a filter card, but should you?

Whenever possible, I would discourage using calculated fields as a filter for a page. Best practice, in my opinion, is to handle as much as you can in the ETL. If it is a calculation that needs to aggregate data or respond to filters prior to calculating, then utilize beast mode/calculated field.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Zel
    Zel Member

Based from the previous image, what I'm trying to look at right now would be an output like this:

I will just remove that main category ‘hospital' and use its subcategories instead.

Can anyone please help me create using only one card for this? I'm only new with DOMO and still hasn't touched ETL much yet. When I'm entering it in slicer, it only gives me one field to choose from (so I can't enter the subcategories of Hospital.

The dataset looks like something below.