Freezing card at end of Fiscal Year

Hello everyone,

I was curious to know if there is any mechanism in Domo where I could freeze the content of 50 cards that are part of the same dashboard so that on the last day of the Fiscal Year we "freeze" the cards and the dashboard and then the data would become static but obviously with drill down capabilities.

It is OK if we make a copy of the dashboard and cards (so we create new objects if needed) but want to minimize work so that we we do not have to recreate Beast Modes to reflect the previous fiscal year.

Any suggestions on where to start looking or how could this be done would be really appreciated.

Thank you

F

Best Answer

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

consider adding a "is_closed_period" column. that way you can filter on transactions that are part of the closed period and functionally "freeze" the data.

alternatively, if you label transactions as belonging to the nth period (1,2,3,4th etc.) you could filter on "all activity from the 3 closed period or earlier"

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

consider adding a "is_closed_period" column. that way you can filter on transactions that are part of the closed period and functionally "freeze" the data.

alternatively, if you label transactions as belonging to the nth period (1,2,3,4th etc.) you could filter on "all activity from the 3 closed period or earlier"

Jae Wilson

**Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Hi Jae,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

You solution involves making changes to both the dataset(s) and the cards - and it might be the way to go.

I was looking to see if there is some Domo functionality where you could make a copy of the datasets and cards and have these work together so that would give the appearance of a freezing mechanism. This would have minimized the amount of work on our side.

Thanks again.

F

• @FXM32 Domo does retain dataset history in Vault, but that's supposed to be a recovery tool not dataset snapshots that end users can flip between.

Given that your "freezing mechanism" should tightly align with business logic, it makes sense that you should apply that business logic as an artificat in your dataset that you can control via ETL and filtering.

Jae Wilson