Add data to an existing Excel file in Domo?

Is there a way to add monthly data to an already uploaded xls file in Domo? Rather than having to upload a fresh file each month, I was hoping to be able to easily just upload an initial file at the start of the year and then add new rows of data (sometimes up to 100,000) each month.

This would also save me having to re-link the new file to each metric/ visualisation.

TIA

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

You can find it on the connector settings.

As Excel has the row limit you'd be limited to 1M for each file upload because of Excel but it would append those records to your dataset which wouldn't be limited

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• When using the file upload you should be able to set the Update Method on the settings as Append so when you upload a new file containing the new rows it should put it at the end of your dataset.

• Hi Grant, where might the Update Method settings be located? I could not locate this.

Also- if I were able to append my data, is the maximum number of rows that can be appended still ~one million?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

You can find it on the connector settings.

As Excel has the row limit you'd be limited to 1M for each file upload because of Excel but it would append those records to your dataset which wouldn't be limited

• I think I have the same question - where are the settings? I only see the below (no settings). I just uploaded the spreadsheet. Thanks for your help.

• mhouston
    mhouston Contributor

@ddodd did you upload this using the file upload in domo? you should see settings as the fourth option (after Overview, Data, and Cards).

if you used workbench, you will have to go into workbench to find the append option.

• Thanks for your response. Yes, I uploaded using the Excel plug-in. No - I do not see Settings. See the screenshot above (Lineage comes after Cards). Thanks again

• Should I create a ticket for this? I see the Settings in other datasets

• mhouston
    mhouston Contributor

@ddodd I would probably reach out to support. As a side note the excel plug-in is a different piece of functionality than the straight file upload in Domo, I'm not sure if the plug-in would impact this. I know when you use the API to upload data into Domo you lose that settings option, and I wonder if the same is true with the plug-in.

• When changing the Update Mode to Append, it reruns the existing data automatically, duplicating the data within the file. Be sure to hit Stop Import in the kebab button on the dataset in order to stop the automatic append!