Remove column from existing schema

Hello! Is it possible to remove a column from an existing dataset using the Domo CLI? In otherwords, can I change the schema? My existing schema has 25 columns. But I only have 23 columns in a data file that I want to upload. This causes an issue when uploading the file using the Domo CLI. So, the last two columns of my existing Domo dataset are not longer needed and they must be removed. Can I do this?

Also, in the dataset schema, I see that all columns have a property called 'isVisible' and it's set to True. If I changed this value to False, would this allow me to upload a data file to the dataset without having to send the columns were isVisible is set to False?

Finally, if I can't remove the columns using the DOMO cli, can they be removed using the Domo front-end UI? I've never used the front-end really, so I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Serissa

Answers

• You can't change the dataset schema using the front end.

What should happen to the existing values in those two columns you're wanting to drop? Do you still need access to that data or are you wanting it to be completed removed permanently?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • So, I think the data will no longer be needed, so the data can be deleted. How would I go about doing that?

However, if we wanted to keep the data, how would we do this? Is that what the isVisible property is for?

Thanks!!!

• You can utilize the create-dataset command in the CLI along with the -i parameter to specify the existing dataset's ID to update the schema of an existing dataset. Doing this will drop the column from your definition and would be unavailable moving forward. You could make a copy of your original dataset as a backup first in case you need to reference those two columns you're dropping.

• @GrantSmith or anyone... can you explain how to get to the "CLI"...? I'm not familiar with this and have a dataset in which I need to drop a column (it's causing parsing issues and won't allow me to open with ETLs).

• @NathanDorsch I'm referring to the Java CLI tool that Domo provides.