Waterfall Chart with Variance Analysis

genaussie
genaussie Member
edited August 2021 in Charting

Hi All,

Is it currently possible to build a waterfall chart that refers to three separate beast mode calculations (1 calc for each variance)? I can do this easily in excel but I'm struggling in Domo. What I want to show is (all in $):

July FY21 - Price Variance - Volume Variance - Mix Variance - July FY22

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• I should add that I’d like this to be dynamic so that filters can be set up to select individual or multiple business units and months.

• You would need to combine your 3 beast modes into 1 beast mode. Have you tried doing that? For the filters, just add your business units and months into the filters section and turn on quick filters.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Hey Mark, that sounds like a good idea. How would I group the 3 beast mode calcs so that all could be shown in the waterfall? Are you able to provide a simple demo so I can get an idea, assuming the calcs are:

calc 1: sum (1+1)

calc 2: sum (2+2)

calc 3: sum (3+3)

Cheers

• Based on your example, if you are adding them all together, you would have a single beast mode that looked like this:

SUM(1+1) + SUM(2+2) + SUM(3+3)

• Unfortunately that wouldn’t work, because I need to show the three variances individually in the waterfall.

• As far as I know, the waterfall chart is not built to show three different variances. You could make a quick filter that would allow users to toggle to each variance. Or, build three different cards. Here's a link to the KB article for the waterfall card if you haven't looked through it already.

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043429613-Waterfall-Chart