Anyone using Data Set Views?

Are you using Data Set Views and if so, how? I recently had this turned on for my Domo instance but I'm not exactly sure what I can do with it. Any use cases would be great to hear about/learn from!

Thanks.

Answers

• Hi @Joe_M

I'm a big fan of DataSet Views. They allow for simple ETL operations (aggregation, filtering, joining - even calculated fields) and load in real time as they don't have to send the data off to be processed so they're typically much quicker. Another nice feature is that you can use them in ETL 2.0 dataflows so if you have a large dataset that you constantly are doing the same filtering on you can create a view with that filtering and use that as your input to reduce the amount of processing time an ETL would take.

Another nice thing I like to utilize them for is to rename columns to a human readable format and utilize that as the input on a card. This way if the underlying dataset needs to change you can just change it on the dataset view itself instead of on all of the cards tied to the original dataset.

In addition to this, my understanding is that they don't count against your row limit in your instance (if you have one).

Hope you enjoy playing around with them. They're one of my favorite features.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Joe_M
    Joe_M Member

Thanks - this is really helpful!

• Joe_M
    Joe_M Member

One other question - can you lock them to a user? In other words, if User A can only see sales from the Northeast, could I create a DataSet View that only shows sales data from the Northeast and then tie that to User A's login credentials (in other words, a faux PDP)?

• They're just like any other dataset. PDP is the preferred method for restricting access but in theory you could filter the view and then only share it with that user.

• Joe_M
    Joe_M Member

Interesting...

• Just to reiterate I don’t recommend that method of permissions. PDP is the way to go when you need to filter data for specific users. Do PDP based on a specific group or groups and then add specific users to that group (or dynamically)

Filtering and then sharing the dataset opens the possibility it could accidentally be shared with others that shouldn’t have access as Domo currently doesn’t have a Can View sharing option and only Can Share or Can Edit

• Joe_M
    Joe_M Member

Yeah, the more I thought about it the more it didn't really seem like it would work for what I'm thinking of. Thanks as always for the thoughts.

• FWIW AFAIK the PDP polices are inherited at the Dataset Level (not the DSV). Course that opens interesting questions when a view combines data from multiple datasets or PDP enabled columns ... would recommend testing to see what the behavior is there.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"