How can I compare YOY data with an offset of a couple of days?

alexpappas
alexpappas Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

Hello,

I'm 100% new to DOMO and I'm looking for some assistance.

I'm trying to compare data from 2021 against data from 2020 using DOMO with a dataset connected combining data from multiple Adobe Analytics sources, and other accounts. Specifically I need to compare promotional revenue data for a Memorial Day promotion.

I need to compare May 18th - June 7th 2021 to May 12th - June 1st 2020. I'm successfully able to compare the YOY data but I'm unable to account for the 6 day offset.

How can I create a comparative gauge that will show percent change in revenue between the 2 time periods that I've listed above?? Do I need to use a Beast Mode calculation or create a new dataset using Magic ETL that could help account for the offset?

My current dataset contains a Date column, as well as a column for Order Total LY and Order Total TY.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• I would suggest you look at this youtube video by @jaeW_at_Onyx who walks through building an offset date table which would allow you to do what you want. In his example, he is building date dimension table for the exact day a year earlier, but you could make yours different so that it you can compare the dates you want for Memorial Day.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Thanks for the mention @MarkSnodgrass .

If it were me, I'd create a table with two columns. Date and PromotionTitle.

Then JOIN that dataset to your transactions. Then use CASE statements to compare PromotionTitle = BlackFriday2017 and BlackFriday2018.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"