How can I show % change summary # for Period over Period chart?

We have a lot of cards tracking current year vs prior and the period over period chart type works for the visualization, but is there a way to get the summary number to show the % change period over period? From what I can tell, if I set the date range to current period and then compare to prior period that limits my summary number to just current period data and therefore can't show the % change. I would think this would be a pretty common request / use case for period over period reporting. Thanks.

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @MattGo

Period over Period charts don’t support percent change. You’d need to calculate it yourself using a beast mode however it’s best to reformat your data using a date dimension table to calculate your metrics on a certain date based on a certain offset (Last Year, last month last week etc. ).

@jaeW_at_Onyx has a great video outlining the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKNOmKClms&t=468s

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @MattGo

Period over Period charts don’t support percent change. You’d need to calculate it yourself using a beast mode however it’s best to reformat your data using a date dimension table to calculate your metrics on a certain date based on a certain offset (Last Year, last month last week etc. ).

@jaeW_at_Onyx has a great video outlining the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKNOmKClms&t=468s

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks Grant. Yes, we have utilized non-period over period charts and created Beast Modes to capture the % change. It just seems like % change should go hand-in-hand with period over period charts and it would be much simpler that way so I am surprised Domo did not give these charts that capability. Perhaps a good idea to suggest.

• You can create a custom summary number to get this information. Here is what I wrote for one of my cards to show the trend.

ROUND(((SUM(CASE WHEN YEAR(`datereported`) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE()) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ) - 
        SUM(CASE WHEN YEAR(`datereported`) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ))/ 
        SUM(CASE WHEN YEAR(`datereported`) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1 THEN 1 ELSE 0 END ))*100,0),'%'

In my example, I looking for rows that meet the year criteria and applying a 1 or 0 and then summing up that to get the total rows. If you are needing dollars, you would replace the 1 with your amount field. You would also need to replace datereported with your date field.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • @MarkSnodgrass thanks for the reply. We utilize similar Beast Modes on other card types, but I don't think it works on the period over period charts because you essentially have to set the date range to current period, and then apply the "Compare to" option. Once that date range is selected for current period, you lose the ability to calculate % change in the summary number.

• @MattGo good point. I pulled that example from a flex table card, which is what I often to use to compare prior years and I don't have to select the compare to previous year date option.

I agree that it would be nice if it was just a baked in option on the summary numbers, especially for period over period cards. Definitely worth submitting in the ideas exchange in the Dojo.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • this is the reason why i try to avoid using period over period cards and instead always recommend building your own date dimension that handles period comparisons for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKNOmKClms

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Jae Wilson,

I attempted to complete the same process with some data and the issue that I am seeing is when a month has 31 days, the following month previous does not sum that day and throws off the percent change from month to month. Any idea on what is the issue.