General question on data from different datasets on the same card.

I have a card that is on a finished page. There is another metric that I want to add to a specific card that already has data displayed from a single dataset. This new metric is in a completely different different dataset that isn't attached to this page at all. Is there a way to pull in this metric to this card without having to combine that dataset to the one that is feeding the page, that individual card?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user048760

in order for your card to utilize the metric is must be in your dataset. I agree with @Lady_KMac that views are a good option to combine the dataset. Alternatively is it possible for you to add a new card to your page for this metric? That might be a simpler option if you don’t want to combine the dataset together.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@user048760 ,

the short answer is "a card can only be powered by data from ONE dataset". In short, no you cannot create a card that spans two datasets.

What @Lady and @GrantSmith are suggesting is that you combine your two datasets into one dataset.

Be careful, instinctively, most people will try to JOIN their data together (in ETL or a Dataset View), but most days of the week that's NOT the way you want to go.

Instead try to UNION your data such that common columns are aligned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbOeLSae9o

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• Have you considered using a Domo Data View?

https://www.domo.com/learn/dataset-views

• @Lady_KMac I will take a look at this. Thank you for passing this along.

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user048760

in order for your card to utilize the metric is must be in your dataset. I agree with @Lady_KMac that views are a good option to combine the dataset. Alternatively is it possible for you to add a new card to your page for this metric? That might be a simpler option if you don’t want to combine the dataset together.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

@user048760 ,

the short answer is "a card can only be powered by data from ONE dataset". In short, no you cannot create a card that spans two datasets.

What @Lady and @GrantSmith are suggesting is that you combine your two datasets into one dataset.

Be careful, instinctively, most people will try to JOIN their data together (in ETL or a Dataset View), but most days of the week that's NOT the way you want to go.

Instead try to UNION your data such that common columns are aligned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVbOeLSae9o

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • @GrantSmith Yeah that was plan B the filters on the page are also found in this second dataset, so I will now create an individual card from that dataset then add it to the page. I just wanted to be as sure as possible that it wasn't possible to add it to an existing card.

Thank you @jaeW_at_Onyx and @Lady_KMac as well