Command line tools and the "DQL"

I was pointed to Domo's CLI tools today, and the documentation mentions the DQL in few spots.

domo.com/api/domoweb/auth/helpcenter?redirectURL=/Administer/Other_Administrative_Tools/Command_Line_Interface_(CLI)_Tool

I assume that's the "Data Query Language", a find a few references to it in the command summaries:

convert-sql Convert a SQL statement to DQL.

create-dataview Create a view using DQL.

I've searched the various documentation sources, and haven't found "DQL" or "Data Query Language" details anywhere. Can anyone provide a link or more information?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Answers

• "Domo Query Language" :P

@DataSquirrel what are you trying to get done? There isn't a repository of DQL syntax anywhere AFAIK unless you get it from the developers.

DQL is similar to SQL insofar as it's just a language for addressing Adrenaline (database layer). So ... the question boils down to 'what do you want to get done'? You can't perform UPDATE / DELETE commands against data in Adrenaline (because as soon as data loads from Vault you'll lose all the changes to the data).

I assume you want to create VIEWS. very reasonable. Just use DataSet Views beta to create your view, the use the CLI to extract the schema of the dataset. Then you'll have your DQL. Except beast modes, the calculated columns you implement in DSVs will not translate into DQL through the API request. AFAIK that extension to the APIs hasn't been implemented yet.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks for the quick answer. I realize tat it's been three years since I last looked at the Domo feature set comprehensively. Domo is part of our analytics pipeline, as is Postgres. I figure that I should get my head around the currently available options for planning purposes. So, I'm exploring capabilities.

In the near-term, my goals are to push smaller, incremental change sets to Domo to support faster, easier updates to key DataSets, something you're helping me out with in another question.

I end up writing a lot of custom tooling to consolidate data, pre-process data in Postgres for Domo, and more. Given that, the more features that I'm aware of, the better. The details in the docs sound pretty interesting...which is why I'm after more details.

"Adrenaline"? The last time I dove in, Domo didn't have (or at least didn't expose) any kind of data model layer. Has this changed?

• Domo has always had a database layer called Adrenaline (it's what the cards in analyzer are built against)... they just ... don't always document their stack in a way where tech nerds can know what stuff is called :P

Magic 2.0 is a MASSIVE improvement over the previous version in terms of performance and speed to create ETL. I say that as someone with 6 years in building data warehouses in t-sql who hated magic when i first started working with the product.

it is really good. and it's faster than redshift and MySQL for most workflows in Domo.

Watch the architechture video i linked. DSVs are solid as kind of a semantic layer between your data in Vault (Domo's Data Lake, think S3) versus what you expose in Analyzer via Adrenaline (database layer think Columnar parallel distributed database).

BUT don't expect to use DQL to transform data. plan to use it to define views.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Very cool, thanks a lot. The T-SQL...and you hated Magic at first perked my ears up. I tried out Magic 1.0, and think that it's the most impressive visual programming tool that I've ever seen. But I hate it ;-) Not really, super impressed, I'm just happier to write the code. To see that you've become a Believer with Magic 2.0 makes me pretty interested. Thanks for the tips!