Budget Amount and Gauge Card Setup

Hi,

We have 4 sales regions, each with a different budget amount. I want to replicate a report in Tableau that has dials showing how much each region has used of their budget month to date and a Total one showing them all combined. Each row of the dataset details an expense for a labeled region. The budget amounts are not stored anywhere.

1) Should I add the budgets to the dataset as a consistent column or make a beastmode? They may change quarterly.

2) I want to see the total $ amount spent and % of usage MTD for each region inside the circle. I have not seen this done for a donut, is it just possible in a filled gauge? How can I get the % to show?

3) Does each region need to be its own card, or can all the gauges be on one card?

Thank you for your help,

Angela

Answers

• Angela,

Store your budget in a Webform or Google Sheets (two columns, amount and region name) then append (UNION) that data to your transactions. This way when the Budget amount needs to change you can just alter a webform. Very easy.

2) I want to see the total $ amount spent and % of usage MTD for each region inside the circle. I have not seen this done for a donut, is it just possible in a filled gauge? How can I get the % to show?

Consider a different visualization. If you had Spend and Budget or Spend and % of Budget Spent in a table card or a flex table, you'd communicate the same information in a more concise way. A gague is nice eye candy, but if you just had the donut it doesn't actually communicate the data with the same specificity of the % value you're trying to calcualate.

3) Does each region need to be its own card, or can all the gauges be on one card

See above recommendation to use a table card or a flex table or a bullet chart even.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks Jae!

The Webform is working out great!

For the visualization, my manager prefers the donut or the gauge since the flex table with the bar or line charts show the trend instead of the current status, which is what he is focused on. I do really like the amount of detail it holds in a concise space. Can the flex tables have a gauge for the visualization portion? I could not find any documentation for that combination.

Thanks, Angela

• Hi @AJ2020

Flex tables can only support a bar chart or a line chart for the visualization. If you must use a gauge and can't use a flex table then you'd need to create a dashboard with all of the different visualizations / cards you'd need.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • AJ2020
    AJ2020 Member
    edited February 2021

Hi @jaeW_at_Onyx and @GrantSmith ,

I did some poking around with the flex table and think the "Horizontal Single Bar" graph in the flex table would be a good solution, but I cannot figure out the correct fields for the single bar. Ideally, the table would look like the below with the chart showing the % of the budget for that region used. Are custom columns like the last 3 shown possible? How close can I get to this?

Thanks,

Angela

• VishweshDeore
    VishweshDeore Member
    edited December 2021

@AnasAhmed Thank you for sharing this!