How can I create a new column with extracted numbers in SQL or ETL

user027926
user027926 Member
edited March 2023 in SQL DataFlows

I have a column called 'description' which can contain multiple elements. One of them is 'Order #1234567890' (or other digits). I want to create a new column that just extracts the numbers in SQL or Magic ETL (so that I can do Beast Modes etc. on it afterwards). How can I create this column? Numbers may exist in other elements, so I just want the numbers that are 9 digits or more. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• user027926
    user027926 Member
    Answer ✓

I realize now that I can just edit the text in 'Text Formatting' to include just numbers. Thank you for your help!

Answers

• I would recommend using Magic ETL for this as that would allow you to use regex expressions to find cases where there are 9 or more digits.

I'm not an expert with regex, but something like this may work:

^[-+\/\s]*([0-9][-+\/\s]*){9,}$

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • user027926
    user027926 Member
    edited February 2021

Thanks Superman! I've learned a lot, but still learning. Which function in magic ETL would allow me to enter a regex formula? (I don't have advanced options).

Thanks!

• user027926
    user027926 Member
    Answer ✓

I realize now that I can just edit the text in 'Text Formatting' to include just numbers. Thank you for your help!

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    edited February 2021

Hi @user027926

For future reference you can use the the Replace Text tile with a regular expression and replacement variables. You just need to tell the Search Term field that you're using a regular expression.

Also replacement variables are in the format of $1, $2, etc instead of the traditional \1 or \2 like some other languages prefer.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • FYI, if you're on Magic 2.0 and you find the Formula tile more intuitive, you can build more sophisticated transforms using:

cc @GrantSmith

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thank you all! Really helpful!