Round to Millions in Column

Hi,

I want to round currency to millions ("$1,500,000" becomes "$1.5M") for a column in a table that I am replicating from Tableau. The results in Tableau look to have just shifted the decimal point instead of rounding. Below I show regular rounding in blue and the Tableau results in green. Can someone advise how I can do both the blue version and the green version in Domo?

Round.png

Thank you for your input,

Angela

Best Answer

Answers

• Angela, we can't tell you how Domo works, but you can maybe be more specific about what you want the ROUND functionality to do.

mathematically 2.273 SHOULD round up to 2.3.  if you always want to round down take a look at the FLOOR() versus the CEILING() implementations for ROUND.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thank you @jaeW_at_Onyx ?

I have confirmed with management and they want to do traditional rounding (the blue version). 

I have seen beast modes that add commas to large numbers, but not for reducing a large number to the shorter notation with the "M" or "B" at the end. I tried the ROUND function with a negative number but that did shorten the digits.

How can I get "$1,499,999" to shorten to "$1.5M" in the column?

Thanks, Angela

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @AJ2020 

Here's a link to how I've done textual abbreviations via a BeastMode. https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Card-Building/Textbox-formatting-using-Concat/m-p/50397/highlight/true#M7284

You'll want the bottom example.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • @GrantSmith it worked!

Thanks so much!