Question on Dataset Sharing and PDP Using Groups

user049141
user049141 Member
edited March 2023 in Datasets

Hey All,

So I have a quick question, because I'm trying to find a quicker way to share datasets.

Lets say I have four users. Two users are in group A, and the other two users are in group B. I have two PDP policies created for the dataset Z---one has Group A as a member and the other has Group B as a member. 

I also have Group C, which has all four users in the group.

If I share the dataset Z with Group C, will the PDP automatically apply to the users in Group C based on their membership in Group A and Group B? Or do I have to share the dataset explicitly with Group A and Group B?

Thanks!

AJ

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

HI @user049141 

Sharing with group C should still apply the Group A or Group B PDP policy to those users so you shouldn't need to share with Group A and Group B.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

HI @user049141 

Sharing with group C should still apply the Group A or Group B PDP policy to those users so you shouldn't need to share with Group A and Group B.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • To add a little nuance to it all.

PDP policies control what an individual sees when they go to a dataset.

Sharing a dataset allows a user to know that an asset exists in Domo.

So ... when you share an asset with Group C you don't have to reshare with Groups A and B b/c you've already shared the asset.

Additionally you don't have to worry about re-apply PDP b/c PDP applies regardless of whether a specific dataset or asset has been shared or not.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thanks both of you!