Group provinces by East vs West

Hi there, I'm stuck with a beast mode formula and hoping the community can help me out with this formula. 

CASE 'PROVINCE_CD'
WHEN 'BC' THEN 'WEST'
WHEN 'AB' THEN 'WEST'
ELSE 'EAST'
END

Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• Hi @user020987 

It'd be helpful if you provided a bit more context for your request. How are you stuck? What isn't working correctly? What is your expected output? What is your current output?

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Initially, I created a bar chart visualization and the output was by province. After using this formula, the output became all provinces lumped under one category "East". What I would like to be able to create is a group stacked chart, where the first group is "West", and individual bars for BC and AB province. And the other group bars become "East", and the remaining provinces.

Thanks! 

• tmullins
    tmullins Contributor

Your syntax for the case statement is incorrect. Based on what you have provided, the case statement should read as follows:

case when 'PROVINCE_CD' =  'BC' then 'WEST'

when 'PROVINCE_CD' =  'AB' then 'WEST'
    else 'EAST'
    end

or more simply,

case when 'PROVINCE_CD' in ('BC', 'AB') then 'WEST' else 'EAST' end

• Hi @user020987 

Was your code copied directly from your beast mode or did you type it here manually?

It appears you're using single-quotes for your field name instead of back ticks which when comparing the two strings (instead of the column value and a string) will never match so EAST is always returned.

Try this:

CASE `PROVINCE_CD`
    WHEN 'BC' THEN 'WEST'
    WHEN 'AB' THEN 'WEST'
    ELSE 'EAST'
    END
    **Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • @GrantSmith is correct about the quotes and tildas.  

@tmullins  is correct about the actual beast mode but has the incorrect quotes and tildas.

CASE 
    WHEN `PROVINCE_CD` IN ( 'BC' , 'AB' ) THEN 'WEST'
    ELSE 'EAST'
    END
    Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"