Dynamic "Series" in a line chart

Hi Folks,

Let me try to explain this as clear as I can since the subject title is sort of not clear. For context, my role is card builder within my organization. I am putting together a dashboard that is related to SEM Competitive insights using google auction insights data.

This is my default view of my line chart. Here I have my company (green line) and our competition in blue. I used a simple case statement to make a beast mode that groups all our competitors into a "Competitor" group because there are over 50+ competitors which makes the visual look like a piece of abstract art. 

Screen Shot1.PNG

At the top of my dashboard, I have a simple filter that lists ALL our competitors (all the competitors in the competitor group). This is for someone to look at how a specific competitor is doing compared to us. Naturally, when you pick a specific competitor in the filter, it will remove our company/brand from the chart and only show the line chart for said competitor like this:

Screen Shot2.PNG

How would I make it so when someone decides to look at a specific competitor it will still keep our companys metrics in the same line chart? is it even possible?

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user32470 ,

You'd need to have two records for each competitor in your data set.

Assuming your data looks like this:

DateCompetitorAmount
    1/1/2020ABC500
    1/1/2020DEF123
    1/1/2020Our Company987

You'd want it structured like:

DateCompetitorComparisonAmount
    1/1/2020ABCThem500
    1/1/2020ABCUs987
    1/1/2020DEFThem123
    1/1/2020DEFUs987

This way they can filter on the Competitor but still plot the two different series (Comparison).

Alternatively you could utilize a data flow and select only your company's data do a join to the main dataset based on date and include the amounts from both tables so it'd look something like:

DateCompetitorThem AmountUs Amount
    1/1/2020ABC500987
    1/1/2020DEF123987
    1/1/2020Our Company987987

Then you'd use Them Amount and Us Amount as your two series and allow the user to filter on Competitor.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @user32470 ,

You'd need to have two records for each competitor in your data set.

Assuming your data looks like this:

DateCompetitorAmount
    1/1/2020ABC500
    1/1/2020DEF123
    1/1/2020Our Company987

You'd want it structured like:

DateCompetitorComparisonAmount
    1/1/2020ABCThem500
    1/1/2020ABCUs987
    1/1/2020DEFThem123
    1/1/2020DEFUs987

This way they can filter on the Competitor but still plot the two different series (Comparison).

Alternatively you could utilize a data flow and select only your company's data do a join to the main dataset based on date and include the amounts from both tables so it'd look something like:

DateCompetitorThem AmountUs Amount
    1/1/2020ABC500987
    1/1/2020DEF123987
    1/1/2020Our Company987987

Then you'd use Them Amount and Us Amount as your two series and allow the user to filter on Competitor.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • That make sense! Really appreciate you taking the time to write that out!! 

This discussion has been closed.