Custom Summary Number Not Cleanly Exportable to Powerpoint ?

When I found this Knowledge Base post (see link), I was excited to see that it is possible to create  a custom summary number, especially to string together more than one metric...: https://knowledge.domo.com/Visualize/Adding_Cards_to_Domo/KPI_Cards/Transforming_Data_Using_Beast_Mode/Sample_Beast_Mode_Calculations%3A_Card_Element_Transforms.  

…however, I was disappointed by seeing this callout, which is a deal-breaker for us:   “Important: The changes discussed in this section are not supported on Domo Mobile or when exporting to PowerPoint. In these cases, HTML will appear instead of the summary numbers. “ 

Has anyone come up with a way to override that callout…i.e., so that the custom summary number can export to PPT as  formatted text (or a text string) without displaying html?    Thanks!

Best Answers

• helenh
    helenh Member
    Answer ✓

One correction...I see that I can string two fields together, and that will export cleanly, if I don't use html for any additional formatting.

One additional quirk:  It looks like I can't have a date field as a first or only field in the custom summary number.  But, if I string a value field first, together with a date field second, then both will display correctly and cleanly concatenated together.  Not sure why though.  Anyway, hope that makes sense.  Maybe this will be useful to someone else along with way, too.  

• helenh
    helenh Member
    Answer ✓

I got confirmation that for the custom summary number to work, it has to be a value field, not a text field.

Here's what I figured out:

If you want to use a date alone as a summary number, I figured out a way to trick the system to recognize the date as a value with the following beast mode calc:

CONCAT( 'Latest Week Ending Date: ', MAX(YEAR(`Max_Date`))-1+1 , '-', MONTH(`Max_Date`), '-', DAY(`Max_Date`))

* Extract the year, then subtract "1" from it and then add "1" back. This makes it look like a value field.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was trying to do the same thing.

Answers

• helenh
    helenh Member
    Answer ✓

One correction...I see that I can string two fields together, and that will export cleanly, if I don't use html for any additional formatting.

One additional quirk:  It looks like I can't have a date field as a first or only field in the custom summary number.  But, if I string a value field first, together with a date field second, then both will display correctly and cleanly concatenated together.  Not sure why though.  Anyway, hope that makes sense.  Maybe this will be useful to someone else along with way, too.  

• helenh
    helenh Member
    Answer ✓

I got confirmation that for the custom summary number to work, it has to be a value field, not a text field.

Here's what I figured out:

If you want to use a date alone as a summary number, I figured out a way to trick the system to recognize the date as a value with the following beast mode calc:

CONCAT( 'Latest Week Ending Date: ', MAX(YEAR(`Max_Date`))-1+1 , '-', MONTH(`Max_Date`), '-', DAY(`Max_Date`))

* Extract the year, then subtract "1" from it and then add "1" back. This makes it look like a value field.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was trying to do the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.