Single number selection from a group of numbers (Like random selection but from a controlled source)

I've got a very unusual issue. I need to select a group of workorder numbers that meet a certain selection criteria, and then from those select one. In the perfect world it would be random.

I know that was a stretch so I tried put a ranking on them and thought that I could simply turn the value into Max(Value) and get my single WorkOrder number.

That works, however my selection date range is for the entire week and I end up getting a Max Number for each day that a WorkOrder falls on.

So then I tried adding the RONumber and the ranking together so I could do a Max on that and it worked exactly the way I wanted.

Until I needed to get the WorkOrder number associated to the selection (The first 10 digits of the ROAudit Number i created) As soon as I try and get the RO number I get the multiples again.

Anyone ever try something like this or have any suggestions, as it is right now I may have to supply the ROAudity Number and have the Auditor manually extract the first 10 digits.

Thanks

Randy

Best Answer

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

You could try 

LEFT(your_beast_mode, 10)

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman

Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

You could try 

LEFT(your_beast_mode, 10)

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Randyb
    Randyb Member

Thanks, I didn't think I could use Left() on a Numeric value. I had to modify it slightly to Max(Left(mydata,10)

That gave me the trim value and still only returned the single RO

Really appreciate it.

Thanks

Randy