Calculate Variance of a variable from two date ranges

Hello I am fairly new to domo, and I am wondering how to calculate the variance of a variable in my data set from a specific time frame (Quarter 1 2019) and divide that by then variance from another time frame (Quarter 3 2018)?

So far I have tried this, but this did not match with the values from a calculation in Excel:

VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '1/1/2019' and `deploy_date` <= '3/31/2019' THEN `delivered` ELSE 0 end) /

VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '7/1/2018' and `deploy_date` <= '9/30/2018' THEN `delivered` ELSE 0 end)

and

VAR_POP((CASE
WHEN `deploy_date` >= '1/1/2019' and `deploy_date` <= '3/31/2019' THEN VAR_POP(`delivered`)
Else 0 end)) /
VAR_POP((CASE
WHEN `deploy_date` >= '7/1/2018' and `deploy_date` <= '9/30/2018' THEN VAR_POP(`delivered`)
Else 0 end))

Best Answer

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

Are you sure that you're looking for the population variance?

1.png

I also don't think that you would want to use the else 0 in your case statement because that will increase the N value.

You should try:

VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '1/1/2019' and `deploy_date` <= '3/31/2019' THEN `delivered`  end)
    /
    VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '7/1/2018' and `deploy_date` <= '9/30/2018' THEN `delivered` end)

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman

Answers

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

Are you sure that you're looking for the population variance?

1.png

I also don't think that you would want to use the else 0 in your case statement because that will increase the N value.

You should try:

VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '1/1/2019' and `deploy_date` <= '3/31/2019' THEN `delivered`  end)
    /
    VAR_POP(CASE WHEN `deploy_date` >= '7/1/2018' and `deploy_date` <= '9/30/2018' THEN `delivered` end)

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Thank you, I will try this now