Using two different datasets with ETL calculator

Feyo
Feyo Member

Hi all -

I am trying to convert values in a dataset using an exchange rate contained in another dataset. Which function in ETL will allow me to do this? It seems to me the Calculator function only allows one input dataset.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Rich
    Rich Contributor

Hi Feyo,

Seems to me like this would be a join. It depends at least a little bit on how your data is set up, but the easiest could simply be a cross join between the two datasets (but that could be a cartesian product if you're not careful). You could do another join type depending on which columns you have in common between the two datasets. This could be accomplished in Magic ETL, MySQL, or Blend based on what your data looks like.

I'd start there.

• Yes, you will have to join the datasets before using the calculator tile.

I would not recommend a cross join.  You should be able to join on the Currency Iso code.

I would first select only the currency iso code and exchange rates from that table and then join those two rows to your main data set on the iso codes.

Once you have the amount, the iso code, and the exchange rate in the same data table, you can use the calculator tile to convert.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Feyo
    Feyo Member

That worked smoothly. Thanks for your help!

• Feyo
    Feyo Member

I’ve done a join and it seems to have worked. Thanks for your help Rich.