DataSet API: Only DataSets created with the API may be used by the API

DataSquirrel
DataSquirrel Contributor

Background
I posted a question earlier that had way too many parts, so I'm breaking out individual questions. Hopefully, these are easier to answer now and easier for other people to discover later. I can figure much of this out by testing myself, but am hoping others already know and can answer without much effort.

Question

The docs include a note which reads, in part, "Note: Only DataSets created with the API can be updated via APIs." Is this correct? If so, it means we'll need to create new DataSets, populate them, and then migrate all of our pages/cards/rules to the newly defined DataSets. Ouch. Have I misunderstood? Somehow this prohibition seems too broad to be correct. Can anyone fill me in on how it all really works?

I've already got code to read all of the DataSets, etc. through the public APIs. Is it true that I can't then push data to any of these DataSets with the DataSet API or the Stream API?

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,
    Anyone help out with this request?

Thanks,

• Austin
    Austin Member

Hey DataSquirrel,

Thank you for reaching out to Domo Support in regard to our Dataset API. I will also get this over to my Connector team for added support on this functionality, and the next available Technical Advisor will reach out to you with further steps and information.

If this is considered a high priority, then please call our number and reference the following ticket number:

Ticket: 05665911

1-801-805-9505

Have you been looking for a 1-stop shop for all your support cases? This message and all updates to this case can be tracked in the Customer Portal at support.domo.com. This portal makes it easy for you to track, update, and create all your support cases!

- Domo Technical Support

• Hi DataSquirrel,

The answer is yes. You can push data to the same dataset from different locations. The only thing I would be wary of is two users simultaneously trying to push data at the same time.

Hope that helps!

Domo Support

• Hi DataSquirrel,

You have understood that correctly. Datasets can only be updated by the API that created the dataset. If you would like to see this changed, you can submit product feedback within your instance.

DOMO Support

• Is there any way to make DataSet which was created with Workbench updatable through API?

This discussion has been closed.