Is there a way to use vector style data groupings in Beast Mode?

I am trying to find a quicker way to use grouped data values in a column to filter an issue.  Let's say I want to say any records that are A,B, and D  should be marked "Inefficient" out of column Alpha that has values A,B,C,D,E.  In something like R I would do this by using a similar code:

v-Inefficient <- c{"A","B","D"}

Using that logic utilize some kind of beast mode where:

(Case when Alpha = v-Inefficient then 'Inefficient'

else efficient

end)

Even if I could have a method of grouping to filter in the beast mode like:

(Case when Aplpha = {'A', 'B', 'D'} then 'v-Inefficient'

else 'Efficient'

End)

Is there a way to replicate this concept in a Domo Beast mode?  I have some situations where I am grouping off of larger beast modes, and then boiling down those beast mode results to isolated criteria per a filter.

Best Answer

• KurtF
    KurtF Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

In SQL syntax we write this as follows:

CASE

WHEN `Alpha` IN ('A', 'B', 'D')

THEN `v-Inefficient`

WHEN `Alpha` IN ('C', 'E')

THEN `v-Efficient`

END

This should do exactly what you are looking for.

KurtF
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"

Answers

• AS
    AS Coach

You can't declare variables or nest Beast Bodes in Beast Mode, but something like a case statement using LIKE would work.  It would just get 'wordy'?

CASE

WHEN Alpha LIKE '%A%' OR Alpha LIKE '%B%' or Alpha LIKE '%D%' 

THEN 'v-Inefficient'

ELSE 'Efficient'

END

Aaron
    MajorDomo @ Merit Medical

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the heart in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Yeah, my beast modes were getting ridiculously wordy... I was also overlaying other beast modes that would have more words, so I was hoping there was a quick and dirty simple way through.  What you are showing is the only method I can find to work as well.  Thank you so much for you help and time.

• AS
    AS Coach

Nested beast modes would take care of this pretty quick, so you could reuse code and keep busy beast modes simpler. Until then, to crazy town we go.

Aaron

• KurtF
    KurtF Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

In SQL syntax we write this as follows:

CASE

WHEN `Alpha` IN ('A', 'B', 'D')

THEN `v-Inefficient`

WHEN `Alpha` IN ('C', 'E')

THEN `v-Efficient`

END

This should do exactly what you are looking for.

KurtF
    **Say “Thanks” by clicking the “heart” in the post that helped you.
  • AS
    AS Coach

I read your message to mean the field would contain a string of comma separated values like 'A,B,D'.  In that case, the LIKE style statement would be correct.  If the column is only ever a single character, @KurtF's response is the better, simpler way.

Aaron