Problem with grouped and stacked chart. Need Help

I am pretty new to Domo and could not find a way to do what I am looking for.

I would want to group the data by country (grouped age field) and then stack the survey results. Here is an example of what my data looks like.

Best Answer

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

To my knowledge, you are not able to create a custom hierarchy for data fields, which is what I believe would be required to create the visualisation you are looking for.  

However, I started by normalizing your data (collapse collumn in ETL) to create something like this:1.png

Then I created a grouped bar chart and used country as a quickfilter:2.png

This lets you view all countries together, or you can select a single country to view the data for that country:3.png

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman

Answers

• This is a lot of data to consume in one visualization.  Have you considered splitting this up into multiple cards?  Or, if you are going to present from Domo, you could start with a higher level view of the survey results and build out a drill path that would get to the level of detail you want.

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • I would want them to be in a single card. Excel does it so easily. I believe that a little tweaking could help me get the output I am looking for. But I am not sure what that should be.

• ST_-Superman-_
    Answer ✓

To my knowledge, you are not able to create a custom hierarchy for data fields, which is what I believe would be required to create the visualisation you are looking for.  

However, I started by normalizing your data (collapse collumn in ETL) to create something like this:1.png

Then I created a grouped bar chart and used country as a quickfilter:2.png

This lets you view all countries together, or you can select a single country to view the data for that country:3.png

• This should do for me. Thank You for helping me out.

• Sounds like you want to create a card that looks like this:Responses by Country and Group.PNG

If so, you can do so using a stacked bar chart and dummy records to do the grouping (and normalized dataset shown in previous reply):

1.) Create a concatenated field for the x-axis (Country and Age Group in this instance)

2.) Create a dummy record for each space ("Europe 0", "UK 0", USA 0")

3.) Create a display field that contains spaces in the dummy records and the value of the concatenated field for all other records  (note: each dummy record has to have a different number of spaces... otherwise they all get displayed as one space on the chart)Display field.PNG

4.) Use the display field for the x-axis, but sort by the original field

5.) y-axis is counts and series is response

Kinda klunky from a support perspective, though.

This discussion has been closed.