Domo University - CourseBuilder

[Deleted User]
edited March 2023 in Scheduled Reports

17 blog featured course builder app 675x400 1

If you’re on an HR team, an opps team, or an L&D team, you’re probably familiar with the organizational and clarity-related issues that can come when trying to train a group (or an entire organization) to learn a new method or program. Ideally, you’d have a comprehensive e-learning tool that would help you create training courses fast and easily, with the ability to customize them however you want for whoever you want, for multiple video channels.

Coursebuilder App

Domo’s CourseBuilder app is a proprietary e-learning authoring tool that publishes a training module as an app within Domo—and one in which any user with permissions can create, share, and present content in a scalable way. The CourseBuilder app gives team leaders the tool they need to train their people efficiently, easily, and consistently. It’s available as a desktop application within the Appstore. It looks professional, is intuitive to navigate, and generates positive interest around Domo—so employees will understand its function, purpose, and importance in your company.

Key features of CourseBuilder include an easy-to-use interface, instructionally-sound templates, auto-publishing to your specific instance, and the option to publish to the Appstore. Customization exists from page styles all the way down to color themes. It’s been designed so that anyone with minimal technical skill can create an app using it—no programming or graphic design degree required. You have several page options to choose from when building your app, each with its own unique purpose, capabilities, and learning values built in. Domo University will be adding even more page options for you down the road, but has started you off with nine helpful templates that can accommodate a wide array of eLearning/training needs.

Why use CourseBuilder? You can customize Domo training content for your own teams. You can create any training and publish it into Domo, so it’s scalable content for use by anyone, at any time, anywhere, via Domo. It’s a user-friendly tool that makes for dramatically improved training and paves the way to better utilization of Domo—and it can help any company create a standardized onboarding process.

CourseBuilder - Tracking behavior in google analytics

You can even track behavior with the app in Domo via Google Analytics, and then build reports of that data in Domo for your training app. The apps produced by CourseBuilder are optimized for the Google Chrome browser, and apps uploaded to Domo should not exceed 100 MB in size, as this will diminish the ability of the browser to render the app in a timely manner. To provide feedback on CourseBuilder, please reply to this post. If you experience any problems with CourseBuilder that you can’t resolve using articles already available in the Knowledge Base, please contact Support.

And remember the best advice of all when creating a training course: the less text-heavy your slides are, the better. Show—don’t tell.

To download CourseBuilder in Domo product:

• Click on the dice graphic in the upper right portion of your screen next to your profile picture and select "APPSTORE".  

Help Center.jpg

You can also navigate via a browser to https://domo.domo.com/appstore/apps.

In the APPSTORE search bar type "CourseBuilder" and you will see the below screen. Click on the icon to download.

coursebuilder screen.jpg

Good luck! We would love to get your feedback on this App.

CC: @JeriLarsen @mwillder @SamHoward

Regards,

Best Answer

• CWL
    CWL Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@Ashleigh We are working on an updated training app for CourseBuilder and content for the Knowledge Base. Watch for it soon! 

Answers

• @JeriLarsen @mwillder @SamHoward

We were actually discussing this tool earlier today. This is going to help us meet a large need that we had as a small BI team serving a large user base. 

Previously we have been creating tutorial videos to help train our users. The problem with doing that for all of our needs was the time commitment needed. The CourseBuilder will allow us to not only take advantage of the videos we've made but also allow us to bang out a quick tutorial on new page or card we've rolled out, saving us valuable time.

Thanks for this addition. I'll be sure to update our usage experience as we start using the new tool.

Sincerely,

ValiantSpur

• Outstanding!

Let's make sure we connect you to the Domo U team in person while at Domopalooza. I can help facilitate a meet up. 

Cheers!

• TSIII
    TSIII Member

@DaniBoy after we download an app that was built (i.e. Domo Basics:Getting Started with Domo) with the coursebuilder is it possible to export the app from Domo and reimport using the coursebuilder download?  I want to be able to connect google analytics to the apps that are already available in the app store.

• SamHoward
    SamHoward Domo Employee

Hi @TSIII. I'm sure we have a solution for you. While you can't export an app downloaded from the appstore and then bring it into CourseBuilder, you can download "editable" or CourseBuilder uploadable versions of our training apps from the Domo University website > Train Your Team page. Scroll down to the section on that page titled "Make Domo apps your own—and deploy," and you'll see options to download zip files of all of our courses.  These apps also have the Domo branding/logos stripped out so you can add in your own branding. Once these are imported into CourseBuilder, you can add, delete, or move pages however you want, and, as you said, you can also add your own Google Analytics tracking ID in order start tracking data on your own apps. 

Let me know if you have further questions!

• ejan
    ejan Member

Dani,

Is there a way to track a user's performance on the quizzes that we create in CourseBuilder?  I really enjoy CourseBuilder (a few finicky things) but it has been tremendous at allowing us to offer customized training for our users.

Erika

• SamHoward
    SamHoward Domo Employee

@ejanwrote:

Dani,

Is there a way to track a user's performance on the quizzes that we create in CourseBuilder?  I really enjoy CourseBuilder (a few finicky things) but it has been tremendous at allowing us to offer customized training for our users.

Erika

Hi @ejan

Technically, yes, you can set up tracking for user performance on quizzes. That said, the current path for doing that isn't elegant yet. Training apps are set up to send events to Google Analytics that identify when a user has answered a question, whether the answer was correct, and even how many times they re-took the question. That said, each event shows up seperately and in a string like this: "JohnDoe : johnD@domo.com -- domo/Data Manipulation Overview/Quick review of tools: Question 1: failed after 2 guesses -- 2018-04-11T21:51:24.424"

So, assuming you had the SQL/BeastMode savvy, you could parse this out into columns and create a DataSet and cards that would track how individual users performed on each quiz in a course. 

All that said, a more ideal solution is on our roadmap, where we program an event that compiles all the individual quiz events for you and provides someone like you with a percentage correct per quiz per user or as a percent correct for the total quiz questions for a given app. I'm looking forward to getting this update implemented as well.

Stay tuned for updates on that, but in the meantime, if you come up with a quick and easy formula for creating cards that track quiz behavior, please share with the group (or anyone else who gets to it first ;).

Let me know if you have more questions, and thanks for using CourseBuilder. Also, please feel free to share any additional feedback you have regarding CourseBuilder with me directly at sam.howard@domo.com. 

Thanks!

• If you re-publish an app due to updates does any data from the Google Analytics tracking get lost? I am concerned as when I make updates to an app there is no way for me to update that app version but rather I have to delete the old app in the asset library and publish a new one. 

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• SamHoward
    SamHoward Domo Employee

@Ashleigh wrote:

If you re-publish an app due to updates does any data from the Google Analytics tracking get lost? I am concerned as when I make updates to an app there is no way for me to update that app version but rather I have to delete the old app in the asset library and publish a new one. 

@Ashleigh, none of the Google Analytics tracking is lost when you republish an app, assuming that app is using the same Google Analytics ID. As for the other issue you mention about having to delete the old app/card and publish a new one, we have a solution for that on our roadmap where the previous app in the Asset Library would simply update to the new version after you publish the revised version from CourseBuilder, but it's still a ways out. Feel free to check back later on that. 

• SamHoward
    SamHoward Domo Employee

Adding @CWL to this thread, as she's going to be collaborating with me to address CourseBuilder-related threads moving forward. 

• Can you create Publications for courses so that users without Domo log ins can view the content and engage with the quizzes? 

• I noticed that version 1.3 of course builder came out, will there be an updated training app coming out as well ?

**If this answer solved your problem be sure to like it and accept it as a solution!

• @CWL Can you address this?

Thanks!

• CWL
    CWL Domo Employee

@user01593 This is not yet a feature we have due to the interactivity and multiple pages within each of the CourseBuilder apps. 

• CWL
    CWL Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

@Ashleigh We are working on an updated training app for CourseBuilder and content for the Knowledge Base. Watch for it soon! 

• Is there somewhere I can get the Course Builder Training App as an Import? I would like to make some edits to it but it is not with all the other App Series downloads. 

This discussion has been closed.