Graph "empty" time periods

Is there a way to force the visualizations to display empty time periods?  For example, when I look at the sales history for a specific product at a specific account, I get something like this:1.png

You can see that the time field jumps from March to July.  This can be very misleading when looking at product performance and trend lines.  How can I force the graph to display these "empty" months

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman

Best Answer

• BCorless
    BCorless Contributor
    Answer ✓

@ST_-Superman-_

That is correct; the chart currently makes a query to your dataset, so the chart will only be able to render dates which are present within the dataset.

However, this is a great idea to build that functionality into the card itself! Since we currently do not have such an offering, please visit the Dojo Ideas Exchange http://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange-suggest-and-vote/idb-p/Ideas.

You can search existing ideas and then vote for it, if it matches what you have in mind. If you cannot find it, please create a new Idea which can then be voted on by your fellow Dojo members by clicking the white arrow next to the idea.

If I have answered your question, please click "Yes" on my comment's option.

Answers

• BCorless
    BCorless Contributor

This will depend on your data. To make this work, we'll need the following components in the data:

• At least one date in each month in the date column
    • A value for at least one day within the month

So in this case, your data looks like it lacks any data for June 2017. A good way to fix this is by joining your dataset with a calendar dataset, like our Domo Dimensions calendar dataset. This will fill in the gaps of any missing dates. For the values, we can then replace the resultant NULL values as a zero using the following calculation:

<SPAN class="ng-scope">IFNULL(`column`,0) AS 'Value Column'</SPAN>

If you need assistance in obtaining a calendar dataset, or combining your data together, please feel free to reach out to the Domo Support team. You can do this by either emailing (support@domo.com), sending a DomoBuzz message with the /support command, or through the Customer Portal at support.domo.com. This portal makes it easy for you to track, update, and create all your support cases!

• Does this mean that I would need to have at least one row of data for each month, for each year, for every combination of customers and products?  We have thousands of products, so this would involve adding a lot of data to our datasets.  I was hoping this could be a default feature of any graph that used a date field on an axis.  

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • BCorless
    BCorless Contributor
    Answer ✓

@ST_-Superman-_

That is correct; the chart currently makes a query to your dataset, so the chart will only be able to render dates which are present within the dataset.

However, this is a great idea to build that functionality into the card itself! Since we currently do not have such an offering, please visit the Dojo Ideas Exchange http://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange-suggest-and-vote/idb-p/Ideas.

You can search existing ideas and then vote for it, if it matches what you have in mind. If you cannot find it, please create a new Idea which can then be voted on by your fellow Dojo members by clicking the white arrow next to the idea.

• “There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
This discussion has been closed.