How do I pass file name when importing CSV file to existing dataset?

I would like to leverage DOMO API to update an existing dataset, which is originally created by CSV upload method.  I read through the API documentation, but couldn't find any way to pass a file name.  Please help.  My expectation:

-- DataSet created, with an ID already, of course

-- Someone will update the source CSV file

-- A script with DOMO API to upload the CSV file to the existing dataset, using REPLACE method

Thanks,
Hua

Best Answers

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

Hua,

My understanding is the the DataSet API can only load data into a dataset that is created through the dataset API. You'll need to use the method to create a new dataset and then use the newly created dataset for your future data replace calls.

The import functionality of the DataSet API expects the csv data to be in the body of the request, so there will be no filename parameter passed to the API.

I hope that helps!

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

Hua,

The DataSet API will work well for that, yes. However, if you're going to be pushing up changes frequently, or if you end up having larger amounts of data to push up, I'd recommend looking into the Streams API instead. It allows you to split a file into smaller chucks and sent them up in parallel, which can greatly reduce transfer and processing time.

Answers

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

Hua,

My understanding is the the DataSet API can only load data into a dataset that is created through the dataset API. You'll need to use the method to create a new dataset and then use the newly created dataset for your future data replace calls.

The import functionality of the DataSet API expects the csv data to be in the body of the request, so there will be no filename parameter passed to the API.

I hope that helps!

• Thank you, @zcameron.

Do you happen to know the performance of that API?  If I have something, say, close to 20k rows of data, is this a good practice to upload using this API?

Thanks,

Hua

• zcameron
    zcameron Admin
    Answer ✓

Hua,

The DataSet API will work well for that, yes. However, if you're going to be pushing up changes frequently, or if you end up having larger amounts of data to push up, I'd recommend looking into the Streams API instead. It allows you to split a file into smaller chucks and sent them up in parallel, which can greatly reduce transfer and processing time.

This discussion has been closed.