YOY calculations

I saw this post https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Domo-Dojo-Contest-January-2016/quot-Best-Beast-Mode-Formula-quot-Year-over-Year-Change/idi-p/7933

since I was having difficulty with Period over periods. Although useful it only works if you have the data range to select both years worth of data.

I am trying to just isolate a week and have a YOY% comparison for a certain dimension column with values 

that existed a year ago but in my card I will only want to see the values for in 2016 with a column YOY%

Best Answer

• jaredpk
    jaredpk Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

It looks like at least one problem is with the date field in your second week function, highlighted in red.  Those should be back-ticks (`) and not single quotes.  Please test that and let me know if it works.   If there still is a problem I will often just test one simpler part of the formula to ensure that works and then go on to the rest.  

(
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE()) and WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))
    -
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m/%d')) >= (DATE_FORMAT((CURRENT_DATE()),'%m/%d')) THEN 0 WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = (YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1) AND WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))

/
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m/%d')) > (DATE_FORMAT((CURRENT_DATE()),'%m/%d')) THEN 0 WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = (YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1) AND WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))

I work for Domo.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Answers

• jaredpk
    jaredpk Domo Employee

Hi -- Are you trying to compare the current week's performance, with the same week last year?  If so, there is a "Week" function that will show you the week number of the year 0-52.

The syntax for current year would be:

case when year(`Date`) = year(curdate()) and Week(`Date`) = week(curdate()) then `Amount` else 0 End

The syntax for prior year would be:

case when year(`Date`) = year(curdate()) -1 and Week(`Date`) = week(curdate()) then `Amount` else 0 End

Can you clarify if that is what you need?  Thanks,

I work for Domo.
  • ke I am Looks like I am hitting an syntax error

(
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = YEAR(CURRENT_DATE()) and WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))
    -
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m/%d')) >= (DATE_FORMAT((CURRENT_DATE()),'%m/%d')) THEN 0 WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = (YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1) AND WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))

/
    (SUM(CASE WHEN (DATE_FORMAT(`Date`,'%m/%d')) > (DATE_FORMAT((CURRENT_DATE()),'%m/%d')) THEN 0 WHEN (YEAR(`Date`)) = (YEAR(CURRENT_DATE())-1) AND WEEK('Date') = WEEK(CURDATE()) THEN `Revenue` ELSE 0 END))

I don't see WEEK in purple

Thanks! Appreciate it!

• jaredpk
    jaredpk Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

It looks like at least one problem is with the date field in your second week function, highlighted in red.  Those should be back-ticks (`) and not single quotes.  Please test that and let me know if it works.   If there still is a problem I will often just test one simpler part of the formula to ensure that works and then go on to the rest.  

(
    -

/

I work for Domo.
  • @moniP, did any of @jaredpk's posts help you out?

This discussion has been closed.