Variables feature not automatically updating

adeogunbufunmi
edited December 2023 in Variables Ideas

My understanding of the variables feature is that whenever you make an update this should be automatically updated in all cards and dashboards which are using it, My updates are not being automatically refreshed in dashboards and i need to manually update the variable in all dashboards to reflect my change.

Can someone help me with this?

11 votes

In Backlog · Last Updated

Comments

• I'm noticing this, too. Updating the variable definition in the analyzer does not update the variable control card. This needs to be fixed to make variables usable

Please 💡/💖/👍/😊 this post if you read it and found it helpful.

Please accept the answer if it solved your problem.

• The flip side is that the Variable definition is flexible. The definition itself allows for use in beast modes. However I need the ability for the variable to have different defaults (EOM) on cards where the EOM process is different and I need some cards to go forward on variable date default and not others.

• Matt Tannyhill
    Matt Tannyhill Contributor

@adeogunbufunmi this is the expected behavior right now for Variable controls. The idea is that you are really just updating the "Default Control", so anytime that Variable control is added in the future to a Dashboard, it will match the default. This was intended to provide flexibility to update how the control appears and what values are available on different Dashboards/Cards.

There's definitely a tradeoff though, where sometimes it would be preferred behavior to have consistency across all controls (especially when it comes to the default value/available values).

This is something we're looking into for the future– hoping we can make this experience better. Thanks for providing this feedback!

Matt Tannyhill

Domo – Product Manager

Data Analysis & Visualization