PDP on Columns?

Canioagain
Canioagain Contributor
edited March 2023 in Governance & Security

I saw in the idea section this post: https://dojo.domo.com/discussion/41767/dataset-pdp-for-columns

But comments are turned off.

I have a dataset that is powering tons of cards. Users have access to different cards depending on the Dashboard I gave them access to. Are you telling me I have to create a different dataset if I want to block the "revenue" column from Users X, Y, and Z from seeing this data? So now I have to have two datasets for the same cards?

Tagged:

Answers

• I believe the solution to this is to append your data. For example if you had two groups, one that could see revenue and one that couldn't, you would just append your data to itself once, and zero out the revenue values in the appended data. You would also have an additional column that would distinguish which is which and then create your PDP on that additional column. This would keep everything as one dataset as you could just do the append at the very end of your ETL.

Hope that makes sense.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Canioagain
    Canioagain Contributor

@MarkSnodgrass

welp, I am confused.

I wanted to know if I can do PDP on a single column. It sounded like you said I cannot? But, the 2nd to last sentence you said I would "...create your PDP on that additional column" ?

• @Canioagain sorry I wasn't clear. You are applying PDP based on values in column, which will hide that entire row. I was suggesting creating a column called "ShowRevenue", for example and it would contain values Yes and No. In your ETL, duplicate the data, but in one set of the duplicate zero out the revenue column and make the ShowRevenue column No. In the other set of the data that has the revenue values, set ShowRevenue to Yes. Then, create a PDP policy that has the people that can see revenue in one group base the policy off of ShowRevenue = Yes and then another policy for those that can't see revenue and base it off of ShowRevenue = No.

If you haven't looked at this example, this may help. Although, they didn't duplicate the data, the filtering on values concept is the same.

https://domohelp.domo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042934614-Creating-and-Deleting-PDP-Policies#5.

Hope this helps.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.