Beast mode to kill div0 errors

Hi, can anyone tell me why If my "A" code works, and my "B" CASE WHEN... THEN 0 ELSE 2 END code works, why can't I substitute code "A" for "2" in code B? I'm trying to kill divide by zero errors in a beast mode.

--A

SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0))/SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))

--B

(CASE WHEN (IFNULL(`qty found`,0)) = 0 THEN 0 ELSE 2 END)

--B ELSE A

(CASE WHEN (IFNULL(`qty found`,0)) = 0 THEN 0 ELSE (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0))/SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) END)

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You might need to provide some sample rows of your data. I took your final beast mode:

(CASE WHEN (IFNULL(`qty found`,0)) = 0 THEN 0 ELSE (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0))/SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) END)

And put together some sample rows with the same columns that look like this and beast mode calc worked.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • MaryAl
    MaryAl Member
    Answer ✓

I thought it should work! There must be some NULL or ZERO scenario I failed to address. This code considering all NULL and ZERO possibilities does work.

CASE

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0)) + SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

ELSE (SUM(`qty sold instock`)*1) / SUM(`qty found`)

END

Thanks!

Answers

• MaryAl
    MaryAl Member

I found another way to accomplish this with more WHEN statements. Just curious why the B ELSE A does not work.

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You might need to provide some sample rows of your data. I took your final beast mode:

And put together some sample rows with the same columns that look like this and beast mode calc worked.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • MaryAl
    MaryAl Member
    Answer ✓

I thought it should work! There must be some NULL or ZERO scenario I failed to address. This code considering all NULL and ZERO possibilities does work.

CASE

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0)) + SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty found`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

WHEN (SUM(IFNULL(`qty sold instock`,0))) = 0 THEN 0

ELSE (SUM(`qty sold instock`)*1) / SUM(`qty found`)

END

Thanks!