How to use a user selected date parameter in a calculated field?

Hi,

I would like to include a dynamic user selected date parameter in a calculated field. Where the user selects a Start (selected_start_date) and End (selected_end_date) from a date filter then depending on what date ranges are chosen run the following sample calculation:

IF user_sign_up_date <= selected_end_date THEN 'Active'

ELSEIF user_sign_up_date >selected_end_date THEN 'Inactive'

ELSE NULL

END

I'd wish to do this in the Chart section in DOMO.

Answers

• Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to allow user defined variables in the Domo product. You may need to create a custom app to accomplish what you're looking for

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.” -Superman
  • Hi @Theodore_Mwangi

They way Domo does "dynamic variables" is essentially to use a webform to allow the user to change the value and then trigger a DataFlow to reprocess the data for the visualization. There isn't a friendly way of doing this through the UI directly sadly.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • @ST_-Superman-_ Thanks for the quick feedback.

@GrantSmith Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think the webform will work for my current use case since i am building a user interactive dashboard where they can select the date range which is later on used to calculate values for a column in the dashboard.

• @Theodore_Mwangi , @GrantSmith 's method will work. I wouldn't do it in Magic though, I'd probably use a Webform JOINED to the FACT table ON a constant 1 = 1 in a Fusion or DatasetView, this way you don't have to wait for the ETL to reprocess.

But this is the only solution until the Dynamic Variable beta goes live OR unless you build a custom app. Good luck.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"