Creating New DataFlow from Zips2Fips DataSet and ODBC DataSet

I have USA map card that I want to drill down to counties. I got Zips2Fips DataSet from DomoSolutions that I have to join to my DataSet. I tried to do that through Magic ETL joining these two DataSets matching ZipCodes, but I am getting empty rows.

What could be the problem?

Thank you,

Marko.

Best Answer

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

Ok, give this a shot. If it works then use this as your output dataset and then replace the EpicProduction dataset with this in your ETL. 

SELECT *, CONVERT(LEFT(RTRIM(LTRIM(`AcctZipCode`)),5), UNSIGNED INTEGER) as 'CleanZip'
    FROM epicproduction

This should let you join directly to the ZIP field (hopefully).

Answers

• Hi, User05404,

Without seeing the file itself; the only thing I could recommend is check the type of data you're trying to join. Are they the same data type? Same length? etc...

Best wishes,

Marc Ha

• I agree with @Marc_H, it sounds like a data type mismatch. Are you joining use the ZIP or ZIP_STRING field from that dataset?

Also, could you provide a couple of zip codes that it returned blank for? Maybe they were 9 digit hyphenated zip codes or had an odd character in the field?

With more detail we should be able to tell you more.

Sincerely,

ValiantSpur

• I am matching ZIP_STRING field since I can't use ZIP, it says they are different data types. Here is a screenshot.

Thank you.

• Hi, User05404,

Can you give Valiant and I a sample from your ZIP column in the ODBC data set you're using?

What you can try is convert your string ZIP column into a Whole Number and join it on ZIP from Zips2Fips data set - assuming your ZIP column from ODBC data set is 5 char. I haven't tested this, so please keep us updated.

Warm regards,

Marc Ha

hi.PNG

• I already tried to convert string from my ODBC to whole number but I keep receiving an error "Failed to convert data 94563 to type integer for column AcctZipCode".

Thank you for your help.

• I don't know why I am not able to convert AcctZipCode to WholeNumber. 

• It sounds like you have some non-numeric fields in your data that isn't allowing for conversion to whole number. It's going to be a bit more tricky in ETL than a SQL transform but you should be able to do the following.

If say you were able to identify that you had "-" in your zip codes for something like 96875-2486 then you could do the following to strip it out:

Use the "Replace Text" action under Edit Data. Make sure you have the offending character in the "2" option as shown below:

image.png

Give this a shot and see if after stripping out character you can then convert your column.

Sincerely,

ValiantSpur

**Please mark "Accept as Solution" if this post solves your problem
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.

• Unfortunately doesn't work! 

Screenshot from 2018-01-30 12-28-16.png

• Ok, at this point I would switch over to a SQL transform and we'll have to get our hands dirty.

I would use the following to identify what non numeric zips are currently in my data:

SELECT `AcctZipCode` FROM EpicProduction WHERE `AcctZipCode` NOT IN (SELECT `AcctZipCode` 
    FROM EpicProduction WHERE `AcctZipCode` REGEXP '^[0-9]+$')

This will return all of the ZIP codes that have non-numeric values that would cause the conversion to fail.

Let me know if you get any results from this and we can go from there.

• Here is my outpu. Thank you.

Screenshot from 2018-01-30 14-11-55.png

• Valiant
    Valiant Coach
    Answer ✓

Ok, give this a shot. If it works then use this as your output dataset and then replace the EpicProduction dataset with this in your ETL. 

SELECT *, CONVERT(LEFT(RTRIM(LTRIM(`AcctZipCode`)),5), UNSIGNED INTEGER) as 'CleanZip'
    FROM epicproduction

This should let you join directly to the ZIP field (hopefully).

• Hi everybody, thank you for your help. 

I finally get it done. I tried to join Converted dataset (ValiantSpur gave me an advice) with Zips2Fips through ETL, which didn't work. I tried Blend, and it worked. I don't know what is the problem with ETL, anyways, I got what I needed. 

Thank you,

Marko.