Option to persist a beast mode formula as a new column to a dataset for exporting purposes

It would be fantastic to have an option when creating a beast mode formula that allows the new column to be attached to the dataset for exporting purposes.

Couple of use cases for this that would allow:

1. Ability to use the beast mode column in ETLs. To me, this seems like the highest value provided.
  2. The column would be present when exporting a dataset to Excel/CSV, etc.
  3. My company is exporting our output datasets back to a SQL environment, so for us, that column would be present in SQL and wouldn't have to be re-calculated there.
  4. The new column would also be visible in the new Analyzer's Data Table section.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones at the top of my head. Would love to see this impemented. 

Attached a mockup of the additional option.

Best Answer

Answers

• Is anyone able to help out with this request?

• Maxamillioo
    Maxamillioo Domo Employee

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out! First, I would just like to point out the option to "Share calculation on dataset" when you are creating a beastmode. Is that possibily what you're looking for? If not,  if you would like to submit a feature request for the product, there are two ways to best do that. The first is to head over to https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/idb-p/Ideas and submit your idea there. The second is to submit your idea via the "Feedback" portal in your instance. To access this, click on your grid icon in the top right of your DOMO instance, and then select "Feedback" from the drop down.

Thank you!

Maxwell Isley

Technical Advisor 

Maxwell

Dojo User
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the "heart" in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"
  • Thank you for the follow-up, I'll post over there instead.

I guess my idea is similar to sharing on a dataset, but it would also be visibile when exporting a dataset to Excel, for instance, or usable as a field within an ETL.

• Was this ever added as a feature. We have a lot of beast mode fields and need them to export sometimes. Thanks. 

• jaeW_at_Onyx
    jaeW_at_Onyx Coach
    Answer ✓

Ben Schein covered this during a Demo at the most recent Domo EMEA User Group meeting (see the recording in the linked post).  

https://dojo.domo.com/t5/EMEA/The-next-DOMO-EMEA-User-Group-Meeting-is-16-4-2020-at-1430-UTC/m-p/47849#M1

the Data Explorer views beta will make it possible to export datasets with 'beast modes' as columns.  At the moment the views beta DOES NOT 'see' beast modes created in cards, but you can add calculated columns to the views.

Short answer:  yes. sorta.

Jae Wilson
    Check out my 🎥 Domo Training YouTube Channel 👨‍💻

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the ❤️ in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem by clicking on "Accept as Solution"