Drill cards creating unique URLs - Admin cleanup

This is more of an instance governance question than a Builder question:

I am going through the list of Cards in Admin > Cards to do some cleanup. I see dozens of cards with the same name as a drill layer I use. It shows me as the only person with access to those cards (which would not be true of the parent card if these drills are part of viable cards in my instance). When I click on the listed card to open it in a new tab, it has a unique URL and kpi #, and says it hasn't been added to any pages.

I am wondering: can I delete these? Or will I accidentally be removing drill layers to viable cards, which I wouldn't learn until trying to drill through one of them and getting the data table instead of a drill? I can't seem to figure out how to identify the cards each of these drills attaches to, in order to test this. So have I somehow created unique KPIs that are not actually part of any of my active, viable cards in the instance?

Broadway + Data
Tagged:

Comments

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

Hi all,

Can anybody help @RobynLinden out?

Thanks!

• cmarkum
    cmarkum Contributor

This happened to us and was a pain. I submitted an enhancment request to automatically change the drill path name upon creation. The issue is that the drill path name will source from the parent card. The security model gets confused and doesn't know what type of security it should have because Drill Path cards inherit from the parent. By naming the drill path the same as the parent, it is thinking that it is a parent card and looses security. You should be ok to delete it but definitely watch out for this scenario as we had an issue with some of our parent cards and had to rebuild them. 

Hope this helps

• I do actually rename the drill path as general practice. Here's a basic example of what I'm seeing, though.

I have a card called Primary Card A

it has a drill layer called Secondary Layer

I have a card called Primary Card B

It ALSO has a drill called Secondary Layer

I keep the primary name unique, but the drill layer title stays standardized. I have dozens of iterations of this card, so each business unit has the same KPIs and does not have to filter them on the front end, it's already done in each unique card.

In Cards>Admin I see Primary Card A, Primary Card B, etc, but I also see dozens of cards called Secondary Layer -- each with a unique URL. I cannot tell, though, if each of those is attached to a Primary Card, or if somehow they created their own IDs unnecessarily, and I essentially have a new card that exists but isn't attached to a page and can't be accessed outside of finding it in this list via Admin.

I would like to delete all of those, given that they don't "live" anywhere, but I'm afraid I would actually be removing the drills out from under each of those Primary cards. And I can't tell which primary cards they belong to, so I can't test it!

In case someone from Domo wants to play with this... I suspect part of the cause comes from changing data sets. I built a number of cards on one data set, then made a second data set and repointed those cards. I then had to delete the original drill and re-add it, because the original drill was not moving over to the new data source along with the primary card (would love to see that enhanced!). So... I wonder if this process inadvertently created some serial numbers for drill layers that are meant to be attached to primary cards and are not. Or they ARE attached, and if I delete them via admin I will actually be undoing all of those drills I recreated, and I won't know until I'm using those cards and there is a missing drill layer.

Broadway + Data
  • I just deleted a TON of drill cards because I was doing clean-up and deleting cards via Admin>Cards that appeared to not live on any page.

Please address this -- easy fix would be for the Admin page to indicate that this is a DRILL, not a primary card. I now have cards that have descriptions telling the user to drill through..and there will not be a drill present, because I've removed them by mistake.

VIEW FROM ADMIN MENU - PLEASE HAVE SOME TEXT TO INDICATE THIS IS A DRILL, NOT A CARD

Capture.PNG

CLICKED ON CARD TITLE -- SAYS THIS DOES NOT LIVE ANYWHERE. IT IN FACT LIVES WITHIN A CARD THAT EXISTS ON A PAGE, THOUGH I CAN'T TELL WHICH CARD/PAGE FROM HERE WHICH IS A CHALLENGE.

Capture.PNG

Just added to Ideas forum: https://dojo.domo.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Admin-needs-for-DRILL-cards/idi-p/17055#M3286 

Broadway + Data
  • michaelf
    michaelf Domo Employee

@RobynLinden and @cmarkum we are making improvements to the admin center that will provide you with much more information around your content. Thanks to your feedback we should be solving both of your issues and give clarity around where cards live as well as give you a quick glance at what each card looks like for easier identification.

This discussion has been closed.