MongoDB - non-SSL connection

When adding a data connection to to a MongoDB instance I am repeatedly getting the following error:

Failed to authenticate. Verify the credentials and try again. Timed out after 30000 ms while waiting for a server that matches ReadPreferenceServerSelector{readPreference=primary}. Client view of cluster state is {type=UNKNOWN, servers=[{address=<my_server>.<my_provider>.com:<port_number>, type=UNKNOWN, state=CONNECTING, exception={com.mongodb.MongoSocketWriteException: Exception sending message}, caused by {javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Remote host closed connection during handshake}, caused by {java.io.EOFException: SSL peer shut down incorrectly}}]

Is there a requirement that all connection be SSL?

I know the connector is listed as Beta but I didn't see anything anywhere confirmingthat SSL is required.

Comments

• Based on our experiance pretty sure SSL is required.

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@lisensee, did collin's reply help answer your question? 

• Thanks for following up. It would be valuable to know if there is an option to use non-SSL or if it is on the roadmap. It is holding back reporting on a project and the current work around is to write a custom API and then call that API via Google Sheets and then hook Domo into Google Sheets. It is a bit hacky and direct DB access would be easier to build, maintain, and diagnose.

Thanks.

• Bulloko
    Bulloko Domo Employee

@lisensee - Would it not be possible to instead do this through WorkBench? Looking around I see there are a few ODBC drivers for MongoDB. From what my WorkBench expert has told me, as long as there is an ODBC driver.

• It could be possible but there a couple roadblocks. A) It requires a separate service/machine to run the job. (this is a frequently updated data set), B) Said box needs to be Windows based - everything here is Linux & Mac, and C) ETL and post processing would still be required before getting into Domo - like what I have to do now with the GSheets.

Knowing that MongoDB support is already in there, just with no option for non-SSL, seems like a MUCH easier customer-wide fix rather than requiring customers to jump through hoops.

• The workaround for 1 and 2 (which is what we do) is have VM with Windows 7 or Windows 10 just for Workbench to run. It's fairly cheap and easy to get working.