How to create a unique identifiers with the ETL Transform tool?

How do you create a unique identifier as a new column in any data set?  

I'm trying to create a column where I can have a dataset that looks something like this:

Domo1

Domo2

Domo3

Domo4

Domo5

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to join two data sets that have nothing in common, so this would be creating a column in both data sets so that they can join properly.

Comments

• quinnj
    quinnj Domo Employee

Hey @Mackenzie,

Sounds like an interesting use-case. Could you explain a little bit more the two datasets and why you're trying to join them together? Typically we have at least a date column we can match on.

Currently, there isn't a way to get a unique identifier for rows in Magic ETL. It's definitely possible in a DataFlow if you're comfortable with writing SQL queries. This would be an excellent suggestion for Magic ETL on the Ideas & Innovations board.

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@Mackenzie, can you answer quinnj's follow-up question to better assist you? 

• Hi @Mackenzie actually I think there is a way to create unique identifiers for rows through Magic ETL. 

Once you have your input dataset , under edit columns there is an option to Combine Columns.

It allows you to create an extra column (not deleting the original ones) combining all the columns you like, also you can set the character that separates the values (comma, semicolon, tab etc).

example :

Column name = "UniqueID"

Columns to combine separated by '-' = (CustomerName-DOB-Reference#-Year)

hope this helps

Domo Arigato!

**Say 'Thanks' by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you.
    **Please mark the post that solves your problem as 'Accepted Solution'