Can you use a Datafusion dataset in Magic ETL as an Input data source?

I am trying to join two tables and they will not produce any results in the Magic ETL, But the join works in the Datafusion.

Can we use the Datafusion as a Data input in the Magic ETL?

Best Answer

• quinnj
    quinnj Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Currently it's not possible to have a DataFusion dataset as an input to Magic ETL. The reasoning, without getting to technical, is that a DataFusion is essentially only creating a view or "description" of how datasets should be joined, without actually running any calculations or physically creating a new dataset. When a card is built on a DataFusion dataset, the data is then calculated "on the fly" or as needed. Because no physical dataset is created, it can't be an input to Magic ETL or DataFlows. There is potential to make this work in the future (i.e. being able to say, "create an actual new dataset from this datafusion"), but nothing like that currently.

Answers

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

Hi all,

Can anybody help @MReznick with their question?

Thanks!

• quinnj
    quinnj Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

Currently it's not possible to have a DataFusion dataset as an input to Magic ETL. The reasoning, without getting to technical, is that a DataFusion is essentially only creating a view or "description" of how datasets should be joined, without actually running any calculations or physically creating a new dataset. When a card is built on a DataFusion dataset, the data is then calculated "on the fly" or as needed. Because no physical dataset is created, it can't be an input to Magic ETL or DataFlows. There is potential to make this work in the future (i.e. being able to say, "create an actual new dataset from this datafusion"), but nothing like that currently.

• kshah008
    kshah008 Contributor

@MReznick, did quinnj's reply help answer your question?

• yes, thank you

• user08430
    user08430 Domo Employee

"There is potential to make this work in the future (i.e. being able to say, "create an actual new dataset from this datafusion"), but nothing like that currently."

Currently sitting in the Data Manipulation class at Domopalooza. Everyone agrees this is a much needed feature.

• @user08430,

Can you post this as an idea in the Ideas Exchange so others can vote it up?

Thanks!