How can I apply a color rule for a value that does not exist in the dataset currently?

We have a set of color rules that we want to apply for any dataset that visualizes business_unit. However, I have a dataset that is fairly new and doesn't have a lot of data in it (i.e. there are only a couple of different business_unit values).

How can I setup a color rule for all potential business_unit values if all the values are not present in the dataset?

Regards,
Jack

Best Answers

• amehdad
    amehdad Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jack_Kaye, at this point, do you need to have all possible business units as a unique colour or can you group records, say any BUs that don't yet exist in your existing dataset, as a single colour (like grey)?

If you use text values for your colour rules, it would need to appear in your dataset for the colour condition to be applied.

With that beast mode from @GIriarte's suggestion, using numbers to define existing and upcoming BU values gives more flexibility with your colour rules approach, as seen below:

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

You can utilize the Java CLI and the backup-card command to export the definition of a card to a JSON then modify the JSON definition to include your color rules to include values which don't currently exist in your dataset. Then utilize the restore-card command to upload those changes to your instance.

Make a copy of the card before you start to test and modify so you don't accidentally break your original card.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• GIriarte
    GIriarte Contributor

One option, if you have a limited number of values, you could set a beast mode (case) assigning a numeric value and then use condition equals x number.

• Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure how I can make this work for my situation. I have a specific field called business_unit that I need to create the rule for. If I were to create a BM with case statement that establishes a numeric value, I would have to force each available value to become a visible open to be able to create the color rule.

Is there no way to select a column value without the value existing when defining color rules?

Regards,
    Jack

• amehdad
    amehdad Coach
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jack_Kaye, at this point, do you need to have all possible business units as a unique colour or can you group records, say any BUs that don't yet exist in your existing dataset, as a single colour (like grey)?

If you use text values for your colour rules, it would need to appear in your dataset for the colour condition to be applied.

With that beast mode from @GIriarte's suggestion, using numbers to define existing and upcoming BU values gives more flexibility with your colour rules approach, as seen below:

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

You can utilize the Java CLI and the backup-card command to export the definition of a card to a JSON then modify the JSON definition to include your color rules to include values which don't currently exist in your dataset. Then utilize the restore-card command to upload those changes to your instance.

Make a copy of the card before you start to test and modify so you don't accidentally break your original card.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**