Can I use a filter to make a filter?

I have a dataset that is a schedule of products to promote. A different product is promoted every day and we don't want to promote the same product more than once per month, at least. I want to be able to look at my schedule (just a table in Domo) and only see products that I have not promoted over the last 4 weeks, 5 weeks, and 6 weeks.

My thoughts are that I need a beast mode defining my time frames (4, 5, and 6 weeks) in relation to the date column on my dataset… And then I would need to somehow be able to use that as a filter to select all products promoted during that time frame AND THEN filter those products OUT of my table.

I have accomplished this in Google Sheets with a few calculated fields and crafty formulas, but I have no idea how translate that into Domo 🙄. This feels like the data olympics and I'm attempting a double reverse marketing filter with my entry level skills that only qualify me to jump on a trampoline 😁.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

If the date column in your dataset is the date something was last promoted, you could create a beast mode called "Days since last promoted" and use the following formula:

DATEDIFF(CURRENT_DATE(),datefield)

You can then put this beast mode in your filter and and turn on quick filter. It should be a slider control and you can slide it values greater than or equal to the number of days since last promoted. You will then see the products you haven't promoted lately.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You could create a variable control that is a date field and then in your beast mode evaluate the variable date against the date in your dataset to exclude or include.

Answers

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

If the date column in your dataset is the date something was last promoted, you could create a beast mode called "Days since last promoted" and use the following formula:

DATEDIFF(CURRENT_DATE(),datefield)

You can then put this beast mode in your filter and and turn on quick filter. It should be a slider control and you can slide it values greater than or equal to the number of days since last promoted. You will then see the products you haven't promoted lately.

• Thanks for your response!!

That sort of works in that it allows me to filter out dates easily, but I actually need to filter out products based on the date. It would be even better if I could pick the date on the dashboard dynamically… So, pick a date from a calendar date filter see a list of products that have not been promoted in the last month. The beast mode you detailed lets me see every product sent beyond the filtered date instead of excluding every product sent within the filtered date. Does that make sense?

• MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

You could create a variable control that is a date field and then in your beast mode evaluate the variable date against the date in your dataset to exclude or include.

• Thank you so much!! I had no idea how to do that but I knew someone to help get it done. That's such a cool feature that I'm certain I will use more in the future.

I really appreciate your help!!