Creating a group.

So I wanted to generate custom groups based on the first word being pulled from a data field.

Example:

System | Application | Client | Problem

Say I wanted to pull whatever system app would be and generate a group for it to display on cards via beast mode.

Also, would the same concept be possible if I combined two work groups(Team A and Team B) into a custom team? Is that possible?

Thanks ahead of time!

Best Answer

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Assuming you're wanting a bucket for your applications and not an actual user group here you can utilize a magic ETL to enhance your data.

With a formula tile and a CASE statement you can then create your groupings:

CASE WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP1%' THEN 'Group 1'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP2%' THEN 'Group 2'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP3%' THEN 'Group 3'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP4%' THEN 'Group 4'
    ELSE 'OTHER'
    END

I do it in a magic ETL as the resulting field isn't dependent on filtering of values and will allow cards to render faster since it's being preprocessed in an ETL and not attempting to process it when a card is rendered.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**

Answers

• Also if the app I'm pulling aren't the specific ones how do I get those labeled as Other?

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

Assuming you're wanting a bucket for your applications and not an actual user group here you can utilize a magic ETL to enhance your data.

With a formula tile and a CASE statement you can then create your groupings:

CASE WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP1%' THEN 'Group 1'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP2%' THEN 'Group 2'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP3%' THEN 'Group 3'
    WHEN `Application` like 'STARTSWITHFORGROUP4%' THEN 'Group 4'
    ELSE 'OTHER'
    END

I do it in a magic ETL as the resulting field isn't dependent on filtering of values and will allow cards to render faster since it's being preprocessed in an ETL and not attempting to process it when a card is rendered.

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • Thanks for the speedy feedback! I will give this a shot.

• So I'm running into a bit of a snag and it may be due to my wrong wording, let me try again. Say if I wanted to just do the Beast Mode element and pull just what's in the title for example:

All this info is in the Title separated by a | if I wanted to pull the System name from the title and then group it along with others that come in with the same format but create a group for them to be displayed on the card.

System | Application | Client | Problem

Just need a way to take that split after and create a specific group for them, it's no more than 6 and everything else can be other.