Beast mode errors in dataset views

Hi,

I am struggling to create a simple beasemode in a datasetview, grouped by quarter.

I am creating a new cost column, containing usd_cost for each account unless it is one of the 6 listed accounts and then use the marketing_cost.

I am unable to validate the beast mode ("Whoops error!!" is not helping)

The column names are correct, I am not clear whether it is the grouped dataset view that is causing the issue, or if as the accounts is a text field there is a format mismatch, or something else…

How do I troubleshoot this?

CASE 
    WHEN `account`IN ('5704','4941','4216','4194','4217','4213') THEN `Sum usd_marketing_cost`
    ELSE `Sum usd_cost`
END

All suggestions appreciated…

Thanks

John

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Jobur I'm glad you got it to work in the dataset. Yes, I've found that calculated columns don't always perform well in dataset views, especially when columns or removed or grouped.

Answers

• It might actually be that your IN does not have a space before it so it is reading accountIN as one thing, when it isn't.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Jobur
    Jobur Member

Thanks Mark, that's not the issue, but it is a typo in what I wrote above. Are there differences between how beast modes work in dataset views to cards?

• @Jobur Are all of the fields referenced in your formula in your final grouped output?

• Jobur
    Jobur Member

Yes Michelle the account is a grouped column and the two cost columns are both summed.

• @Jobur Just to confirm, are you adding this formula as a calculted field in the view or as a beast mode in the card? It may be worth trying the opposite method to whatever you did before.

• Jobur
    Jobur Member

Hi Michel, I was using the beastmode to add a column to a dataset view which groups the data by quarter. I could not get the statement to work. I have just added this column to the base dataset instead, so I have a working solution now.

I would love to understand if it is the dataset view that was causing the error?

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Jobur I'm glad you got it to work in the dataset. Yes, I've found that calculated columns don't always perform well in dataset views, especially when columns or removed or grouped.