Distinct List_Agg

Hi Folks,

In Magic ETL, I'm grouping by a key and defining a new column using the formula:

List_Agg(customer_name, ' / ')

Is there a method to generate a distinct list of customer names by key? I don't want the repeat customer names in this value.

All support appreciated

Kind regards,

Best Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@NateBI It looks like it MagicETL may not support LISTAGG(DISTINCT), even though it is a valid SQL statement. As a work around, I'd suggest creating a separate branch of your ETL before the Group By that filters out duplicate values according to all your group by fields and RESOURCE_NAME. Then you can run a parallel Group By tile with the LISTAGG function (without Distinct), and join that back to your original flow.

• rco
    rco Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

GROUP_CONCAT, which is identical in behavior but different in syntax to LISTAGG, does support the DISTINCT keyword as of relatively recently: GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT customer_name SEPARATOR '/')

Answers

• @NateBI Yes, you can add DISTINCT inside the list_agg function the same as you would to for a distinct count like this:

List_Agg(DISTINCTcustomer_name, ' / ')

• Hi @MichelleH this seems to throw an error for me.

• @NateBI What does the error say?

• NateBI
    NateBI Member
    edited April 2023

@MichelleH it's a Syntax Error:
    I've also tried DISTINCT LISTAGG(Resource_Name, ' / ')

• @NateBI Are you using a Formula Tile or a Group by tile? The LISTAGG function will not work in the Formula Tile because it is an aggregate.

• @MichelleH Yeah, this is in a Group By tile but with the formula column feature

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@NateBI It looks like it MagicETL may not support LISTAGG(DISTINCT), even though it is a valid SQL statement. As a work around, I'd suggest creating a separate branch of your ETL before the Group By that filters out duplicate values according to all your group by fields and RESOURCE_NAME. Then you can run a parallel Group By tile with the LISTAGG function (without Distinct), and join that back to your original flow.

• rco
    rco Domo Employee
    Answer ✓

GROUP_CONCAT, which is identical in behavior but different in syntax to LISTAGG, does support the DISTINCT keyword as of relatively recently: GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT customer_name SEPARATOR '/')

• @MichelleH Thank you, this workaround would have been the second go-to but @rco this worked for me. Thanks, both!