Dynamic beast mode for "how does my brand compare to the other brands" without showing brand names?

Jacinta
Jacinta Member
edited March 2023 in Beast Mode

Goal:

To allow 40 external brand partners to individually log in to their own dashboard and view not only their own sales metrics, but also how the other 39 brand partners sales trends compare to their own, without showing the individual brand names or $ amounts just % comparisons in trends for each month.

Questions:

1. Can this be done through a Beast Mode dynamically without creating a dataset for every single one of these aliased views for each brand? for example (when brand value is filtered to A show B,C,D etc as one aggregate for comparing to A. or when B is filtered show A,C,D,E etc as one aggregate for comparing to B?)
  2. Anything to consider when it comes to PDP policies?

Thanks for any insights!

Best Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

This isn't a possibility with a beast mode as they'll have access to the dataset that's powering the card. You'll need to do the masking within an ETL and utilize PDP to filter to filter only the rows that are allowed.

You'll then need to add an additional field to your dataset to identify masked rows to allow users to see all rows for the masked rows and also their own

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

One way I have been able to accomplish something like this is if my "brand partners" are in my series, I hide the legend and adjust the hover text properties to not show the names. I also disable drilling so they can't get to the raw data, and since you are embedding, they wouldn't have access to the dataset in the data center.

I used Segments to color a specific customer a particular color. In your scenario, you might need to do something more dynamic to highlight the proper customer, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Jacinta
    Jacinta Member
    Answer ✓

Thank you both for your helpful insights, I will give these a try and circle back if I have any trouble.

Answers

• GrantSmith
    GrantSmith Coach
    Answer ✓

This isn't a possibility with a beast mode as they'll have access to the dataset that's powering the card. You'll need to do the masking within an ETL and utilize PDP to filter to filter only the rows that are allowed.

You'll then need to add an additional field to your dataset to identify masked rows to allow users to see all rows for the masked rows and also their own

**Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below**
    **Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution!**
  • MarkSnodgrass
    Answer ✓

One way I have been able to accomplish something like this is if my "brand partners" are in my series, I hide the legend and adjust the hover text properties to not show the names. I also disable drilling so they can't get to the raw data, and since you are embedding, they wouldn't have access to the dataset in the data center.

I used Segments to color a specific customer a particular color. In your scenario, you might need to do something more dynamic to highlight the proper customer, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

**Check out my Domo Tips & Tricks Videos

**Make sure to <3 any users posts that helped you.
    **Please mark as accepted the ones who solved your issue.
  • Jacinta
    Jacinta Member
    Answer ✓

Thank you both for your helpful insights, I will give these a try and circle back if I have any trouble.