Creating a separate column using magic ETL

Hi there - I am trying to part of a value that is in a column and change it to be the full name. I keep getting syntax errors whehn going through ETL formula tiles.

My formula is alot larger than this but this is an example - I have tried = instead of Llike, as well as contains, nothing seems to be working (becuase the Campaign column is set up to be WBH - Wabash) so i figured like would be better than =

(Case

when 'Campaign' like 'WBH' then 'Wabash'
Else 'Not Linked'

End)

Best Answer

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Stucker A couple notes on your formula:

• Campaign is being recognized as a text value instead of a dataset field when using single quotes. Wrapping it in the ` character should resolve this
    • You will need to include the % wildcard when using the LIKE operator. If WBH is always at the beginning of the string you can use like 'WBH%', or if it can be anywhere in the string you can use like '%WBH%'

Answers

• MichelleH
    MichelleH Coach
    Answer ✓

@Stucker A couple notes on your formula:

• Campaign is being recognized as a text value instead of a dataset field when using single quotes. Wrapping it in the ` character should resolve this
    • You will need to include the % wildcard when using the LIKE operator. If WBH is always at the beginning of the string you can use like 'WBH%', or if it can be anywhere in the string you can use like '%WBH%'

• I agree with everything @MichelleH said, it's likely the lack of % or difference between ` or ' are causing your syntax errors. I would add to keep in mind that CASE statements are evaluated sequentially when using the LIKE operator.

If your data includes values such as 'WBH - Wisconsin' and 'WBH - Wabash' evaluating like 'WBH%' then 'Wabash' before 'WBH - Wisc%' then 'Wisconsin' will result in both values being evaluated as 'Wabash'

• ArborRose
    ArborRose Coach
    edited March 2023

If you are trying to graph or count occurrences in a dynamic way. I would suggest something like this…

Say you create two calculated fields: field_1 and field_2. Field one representing the abbreviation (ie WBH). Field two being the name of the thing (ie. Wabash).

Field_1: SPLIT_PART(Campaign, ' ', 1)
    Field_2: SPLIT_PART(Campaign, ' ', 3)

Then just place them in the chart with the aggregate (count in this case).

(apologies…in the actual chart, I used Field3 rather than Field2.)

** Was this post helpful? Click Agree or Like below. **
    ** Did this solve your problem? Accept it as a solution! **